PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

First oil change in the Alpha

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Default First oil change in the Alpha

Just about to hit 3K miles today so I decided 'twas a good time for the beast's first oil change. Of course, Advanced Auto was out of the PF48 filter I needed (they almost never have what I need [:@]) so went to Pep Boys a few miles further. Tried to get a K&N but they list the same filter as the I5 which is incorrect.

Oil change was no problem although, pulling the skid plate off added that extra step. I put in Amsoil Series 2000 synthetic as I do in my other cars. And yes I am one of those who changes oil more frequently than the schedule calls for but I never worry about oil-related issues either. What was cool was that I didn't need to put her on the lift or even drive onto ramps to change the oil. Never been able to do that before.

Too cold to wash her so she stays dirty a few more days. I consider 35-40 deg. F the cutoff point to wash and it's about 16 deg.out right now so no dice.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Default RE: First oil change in the Alpha

Yea, I thought that since I was out and had about a 40 minute drive from Home Depot that I would run it through the car wash and it should be fine. Have done it before and the heater running made it ok. Well, I didn't look at the mirror until I got inside the car wash, 17 degress. Needless to say I can't see out of the mirrors now.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Sort of surprised the car wash was even open in that type of cold.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:22 PM

It was full too!

Luckily I have vaseline on all of my weather strips, trick my dad taught me when I was younger. Keeps them from freezing.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:33 AM

Vasoline will deteriorate the rubber eventually.I would go with a silicone free solution
"Wurth Rubber Care"

Old 01-20-2008, 07:44 AM

Dielectric grease is recommended by many manufacturers and detailer shops to preserve seals. I have been using it since I can remember and have never had to replace a seal due to deterioration when dg was applied at least every couple of years (once a year is best).

Old 01-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Yeah, the temp reading in my mirror yesterday said 0 degrees. I decided it probably wasn't a good idea to run it through a wash.

I just hit 1500 miles on my Blacktical H3 and have scheduled an oil change at the dealership on Monday. I was told once upon a time that on a new vehicle, you should change the oil at 1500 miles, 3000 miles, and every 3000 after that. He must have worked for an oil company, eh? Am I wasting my time and money with this? I know it won't hurt, and if it may help, I can afford it.

-- Frank

Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 PM

The 5.3 is the little brother of my 5.7 in my vettes so the manufacture and maintenance are very similar although synthetic is not specifically called out in the Hummer manual as it is in the vette's. In the "old days", before cylinder honing was a standard practice in the factory, guys would generally change the oil early to keep metal particles/filings/etc. from manufacture and break-in out of the oil system I did install a magnetic oil drain plug on my vette at first and it did have some very fine shavings on it at the first oil change I did at ~1500 miles. It's been clean ever since.

I also knowguys who will run dino oil (non-synth petroleum) in a new engine to help break-in for 500-2000 miles and then switch to synthetic but I've never personally seen proof that this is a benefit. The idea is that synthetic has superior lubrication properties and won't allow the engine to break in properly and create the correct fits between rings and cylinders and bores and bearings.

IMO, sticking to a regular PM schedule and using high quality oil and filters is the best method.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:35 PM

I usually do my first change 1500 also, must of went to the same school.I honestly don't change it every 3000 anymore, I'm closer to the 4500-5000 mile mark. I run synthetic from the first change though. And I do alot of Highway driving.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:51 PM

Most of my driving is in town, unfortunately. I haven't given a whole lot of thought to synthetic oil. I usually change the oil in my vehicles at 3000-4000 mile intervals.

BTW, RHILL20, I like your newavatar. Much better than that OSU junk! I have tickets next month to watch the Hawkeyespound the snot out of theBuckeyes. If my brother wasn't usingthe other tickets, I'd invite you. Oh, and a friend to console you after the loss!

-- Frank

Quick Reply: First oil change in the Alpha