PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

First oil change, and........

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Default First oil change, and........

I dumped the factory stuff & filter today w/1300 mi on the clock. Loaded it up w/Mobil1. I only got 5 1/2 qt in before hitting the full mark. Is this about norm? Possibly related, when I brought my H3 home from the dealer it appeared to be somewhat overfilled as the dip stick would read oil to just where the marker meets the cable. What say ye?
Also, no grease fitings anywhere on the '07? not even the u-joints (where I heard there were fittings)?
Oh well, fun & very EZ job all round. I'll feel better with the synth in there.........

gregc

Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Default RE: First oil change, and........

That's odd..with filter prefilled before I install it and topping off to the top of the full mark..I put in 6.25 qts everytime...I have done three oil changes so far..

You better go check again after you have driven it a bit..

Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 PM

Yea, will do. I prefilled the filter and then added a 5 qt container of oil. I ran it for 5 minutes and shut it down to drain while I cleaned up. When I went to top up it was right at the full mark. I've driven it ~ 20 miles since. I'll go check it again........ I planned on it taking at least 6 full qts.
Thanks.
Greg

Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Did my oil for the first time and one of the skid plate bolt started to strip out on the first two turns,it came out with a little fight I just did not want to break it off and then be stuck missing a bolt, going back in it stoped just before it got tight. Kinda Pissed.. I also used mobil 1 and put in 6 qts like the manual said but I do have to say I hate the oil level indicator an the dip wire? what happened to a dip stick! Should any of our trucks take different amounts of oil ? just sounds kinda strange I have always put in exactly what the book says.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:41 AM

I just happen to think..Maybe Greg's dipstick is longer than ours..

Old 03-27-2007, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

I just happen to think..Maybe Greg's dipstick is longer than ours..
Good one! [sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 03-28-2007, 04:36 PM

do you all think there would be a difference in the reading depending if you have your tortion bars cranked or at stock heigth that can be a difference of a couple inches. If it does make a difference do you think a person should still run the six quarts or should put just enough to be on the full line of the dip stick?

Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM

Dennis,
What is the best oil filter to use for those of us that perform our own oil changes?

Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 PM

Delco PF-61OEM filter..if it screws up, the issue is on GM's back....If you use anything else aftermarketand somehow it screws up, the engine repair is on your dime...This from the mouth of my service advisor.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Delco PF-61OEM filter..if it screws up, the issue is on GM's back....If you use anything else aftermarketand somehow it screws up, the engine repair is on your dime...This from the mouth of my service advisor.
I also talked to my dealer about this. He said that until GM gives you filters for free, thet can't make you buy their brand to keep thewarranty.

So who knows

Quick Reply: First oil change, and........