PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Default RE: first oil change

i'm at 3000 miles and haven't had it changed yet, no light either

Old 12-22-2006, 06:34 PM

Time to change right now..get that breakin stuff out of there ..

Old 12-22-2006, 11:05 PM

Is it a pain to do on your own? Plates to take off ? hard to reach filter ? plug? have not really looked into doing it myself yet.What do you guys think?

Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 AM

Unless you have brain surgen's hands..It is quite easy and fullfilling...

Pay attention: Warm the engine for a few minutes and shut offand let it set for about a1/2 hour.

All you need is a 13mm, 3/8 drive socket and ratchet along with an OIL FILTER band wrench.

Remove the two skid pans (H3 aluminumone and the black engine pan)
Six bolts in all.. front two and middle two must be removed the and last two only have to be loosened.
FRONT PAIR

MIDDLE PAIR

REAR PAIR

Once you've removed these panels, the engine oil drain plugis easy to see on the bottom of the engine 13mm.
Have an oil pan ready to catch the oil..then in the front left of the engine (as viewed from the front, looking towards the rear) you'll see the oil filter..with the band wrench loosen the filter till you can spin it by hand..do not remove it untill the excess oil drips off of it on to the little funnel shapedtroughinto another catch pan..

Refill is in reverse..Pre fill new oil filter with oil, tighten New filter 3/4 turns past hand tight (rub some oil on the gasket before you install it), install drain plug after you let the engine drip for an hour...Install skid panels.

Add ≈6.25qts of your favorite synthetic 5w30 oil...I recommend Castrol Syntec.

Off you go now

Old 12-23-2006, 12:08 AM

I was wondering if Amsoil and the rest will meet GM's required specs such as GM4718M and GM6094M like Mobil 1 does ?[/align][/align]I just wonder why Mobil 1 is factory fill and recommended by Mercedes AMG, Astom Martin, Porsche, Mc Laren, Viper , Corvette and the SRT 10 and not Amsoil ?[/align][/align]Who did the Four Ball Wear test, Amsoil ?[/align][/align]As in the case of the Corvette Z06, AMG , Aston Martin, etc -these engines are built by hand, they use the finest components made so they are going to use anything but the best oil? I do not think so. [/align][/align]Again, was the Four Ball test done in Amsoil's lab.?[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 12-23-2006, 12:29 AM

Just google the four ball wear test..

Old 12-23-2006, 02:24 AM

ORIGINAL: skeeet

I was wondering if Amsoil and the rest will meet GM's required specs such as GM4718M and GM6094M like Mobil 1 does ?[/align][/align]I just wonder why Mobil 1 is factory fill and recommended by Mercedes AMG, Astom Martin, Porsche, Mc Laren, Viper , Corvette and the SRT 10 and not Amsoil ?[/align][/align]Who did the Four Ball Wear test, Amsoil ?[/align][/align]As in the case of the Corvette Z06, AMG , Aston Martin, etc -these engines are built by hand, they use the finest components made so they are going to use anything but the best oil? I do not think so. [/align][/align]Again, was the Four Ball test done in Amsoil's lab.?[/align][/align][/align][/align]
[sm=icon_quiet.gif][sm=icon_quiet.gif][sm=icon_quiet.gif][sm=icon_quiet.gif]

Old 12-23-2006, 04:44 AM

Amsoil lists that it meets the GM required specs on the label. As for why Mobil 1 is recommended over Amsoil or some other brand...$$$$$$$$$$.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:35 AM

If anyone leases his or her H3, I wouldn't recommend any synthetic oil unless they planned on buying it. I mean, why waste the extra money for protection if you don't want to own it?

Old 12-23-2006, 11:20 AM

I disagree Jude..Respect for the machine is a religion, no matter what...Seriously, for the couple of dollars more on the synthetic will serve your pocket book well at the gas pumps and over all life of the engine..and who knows, you may end up being the sole owner after all..

Quick Reply: first oil change