PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

first offroad expedition of the serious sort

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Default RE: first offroad expedition of the serious sort

i guess my note just above won't make sense to the target audience.

please start a thread somewhere about these pics of my 'lil offroading fun. thanks.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Greenblade

man, my son has Kinder-grad tomorrow, and i have to take the day off, so i've been working all night & pausing from time to time to surf the old hummer/jeep thing.

I came across some thread where some guys who seemed almost literate were joking about this forum, and how they were going to post a link to some video, then celebrating the posting of said link. it was some thing showing an H1 on rocks being passed by a jeep going up what looked like a fairly smooth trail to the side, etc. and so on. the typical cornucopia of non-jeeps (like a "cherokee" with about 3 feet of ground clearance and so forth). blah blah blah

anyway, my hopes are high that my silly little pictures of running around the farm wind up on some flaming web site some day. and that i find it. so i can print it and hang it on my wall in a gold frame, it would make one fan-freaking-tastic conversation piece, i'm telling you.

I do feel so badly for any of you who might actually endure hummer hate to the point of it bothering you, and i hope none of you ever wind up with broken windows or keyed trucks or whatever.

But i do think that while i'm not a psychologist, and i won't be the guy who writes the history books... this IS history. the hummers will go down in the books as some kind of "you know, back in the 00's..." fable. People will say "do you remember when". That's a slice of Americana you're driving, ladies and gents, in a way that nothing (maybe even the 'vette) on 4 wheels will ever be again.

"do you remember when... when a truck made an entire nation wet itself and suck its thumb"
I know what you mean...in the past couple of days there has been a rash of HUMMER HATERS visiting us and posting some real deranged comments at the general HUMMER enthusiasts here...Myself or Mark has tagged and removed those posts and the Admin has banished them from our forum. These people are pathetic!

Old 05-23-2006, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

I know what you mean...in the past couple of days there has been a rash of HUMMER HATERS visiting us and posting some real deranged comments at the general HUMMER enthusiasts here...Myself or Mark has tagged and removed those posts and the Admin has banished them from our forum. These people are pathetic!
Its just truly amazing to me. Its like the reaction of a cornered pig - usually docile, suddenly crazy (pigs on the farm where i grew up, a cornered pig is outright dangerous). Again, i'm no shrink, but time and time again when i read these things (which is my #1 favorite time-waster in the last few months) i'm just floored by how bent some of these kids are over the big trucks (hummers). And i know they are really cool, and i know they're expensive, and i know people actually want them, but...

...but goodness. it makes me wonder if the people that soup up civics have hate sites for ferarris?

And mostly, i just wonder what it is about the hummers that drives people so mental, because none of the arguments hold water at all.

MILEAGE. its crap, but its better than jacked up 350-wearing jeeps, 3/4 ton pickups (very similar), super-sports-cars, and rolls royces. A rational argument about mileage would levy its comments at all gas hogs. oh, and the H2 in a low-emissions vehicle. lol

SOCCER MOMS. I've seen, to date, 1 soccer mom driving an H2, and she seemed like a very nice lady. I've seen about 250 frat boys driving Wranglers (and i'm sure they are very nice kids, too), and who do you think drives SL500's?

URBAN STATUS SYMBOL. Yep, absolutely, positively, yes they are. and thats exactly what this is all about. they are status symbols. virtually every single jeep-based flame thread ultimately, eventually, revolves around money. and hummers are BIG, lambos are small, so in a way the Hummer version of a status symbol is more visible, more in your face, and, apparently, more threatening. So are mercedes, escalade, lambo, blah blah blah blah. And the gorgeous Aston Martin cars. So the lesson here is that people like nice things, especially after they've earned the right to have one? that'll never change.

DANGEROUS ON THE ROAD. Well, i've never heard that from the jeep-cakes (i just invented that word ) , but the truth is that overall the largest SUVs have the best crash safety. And in an H2 you can see right over a Denali & you're never surprised by sudden stops in traffic, and i'd have to say i almost-wreck my hummer basically never -vs- my 300z which i often do (as it can't see over a Camry, much less a Denali)

JUST A TAHOE. i think that if anybody believed that, they wouldn't be so bent on pointing it out. and i think the irony of the Escalade getting that label (it is, truly, a tahoe at heart -vs- considerably minority of platform-shared parts in the hummers) less than the H2 is just plain awesome!

and blah blah blah blah blah. it all boils down to that little niche element of the auto-world - offroading - suddenly having big, expensive status symbols roll in to join the amazing hunk-a-chunks that generally seem to do very well at it (offroading), and this seems to have caused people to panic.

and, i think also, outside fo the jeepcakes, alot of this is politics. somebody(or somebodies) using the high-visibility of the H2 to further their political careers via this and that and whatever. or maybe, to the sierra club, the mass popularity of the H2 seemed like such an amazing insult that they just lost it (www.hummerdinger.com)

much to do about some trucks made somewhere in Indiana, and truly the HUMMERS are among the defining pictures of this decade. And i really mean it, folks, you're driving a little slice of american history. is it as cool as signing the declaration of independence? naw, but its probably got alot better front seats!

Old 05-23-2006, 12:53 PM

i forgot to mention

THEY DON'T EVEN DRIVE THEM OFFROAD. well yippy skippy. i'll pay some credence to that argument when anybody freaks out at 'vette drivers for not taking their cars to the track, at Wrangler drivers for the (majority) frat-boy / kid segment (who would, BTW, drive hummers but daddy isn't that generous! j/k), or at pickup drivers for (usually) not hauling anything. if somebody wants big cruisin rims, no better vehicle to toss 'em on.

the escalades are probably second among publicity -via- whiners. and, low and behold, they are probably second among status-ish SUVs. p'raps somebody better suited can hypothesize about the combination of physical size (lending presence and some intimidation factor), cost (the timeless social presence/intimidation factor), and popularity (enhancing the insult of the first 2). Because none of the given reasons are even anything to do with the hummer hate.

anyway, Dennis, you guys must be very quick, i've never seen any hater threads on this site at all.

if any hate-posts are directed towards me, would you mind just letting them stay? i think that would be interesting.

Now look, folks, before searching about the h2s offroading mojam, i didn't even nkow jeeps were serious offroad vehicles. The ones the family had were so tipsy and unstable, and really not good for much (again, military-issue jeeps). It was a huge relief for everybody to get a pickup. And the only people you ever see driving jeeps are my oft-teased college kids (but, hey, its a really cool vehicle for toodling around in the open wind, no question about it, so who could blame them?). And i think your non-jeeps are kind of interesting too, although considerably too one-sided to be interesting to me, its been fun reading a bit about them, and immense fun reading the hummer-panic that sometimes comes along with it. I mean you guys panicking about hummers. So no offense is meant by me but...

this is a question of status-symbol. and that's really all i can get out of it.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:22 PM

anyway, Dennis, you guys must be very quick, i've never seen any hater threads on this site at all.

if any hate-posts are directed towards me, would you mind just letting them stay? i think that would be interesting.

I'll only do this once for example;

This one I tagged yesterday along with a few more of his. But this was the milder of the bunch he posted, if you can imagine. (Note his literacy level too...a real rocket scientist)

....and ill sho my apreciation of you all with a big fat smakc in the face.

Its amasing how easy it is to get peoples addresses on the indernet.

You kill my kids with carbon, ill kill yours with a gun, its quicker.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

I'll only do this once for example;

This one I tagged yesterday along with a few more of his. But this was the milder of the bunch he posted, if you can imagine. (Note his literacy level too...a real rocket scientist)

....and ill sho my apreciation of you all with a big fat smakc in the face.

Its amasing how easy it is to get peoples addresses on the indernet.

You kill my kids with carbon, ill kill yours with a gun, its quicker.
As the screen name implies, this is Greenblade. I entered a non-existent email addy, somethign @excite.com to sign up as "this_is_greenblade", and now i'm posting. it took about 20 seconds to sign up and start posting.

So, in theory, i could now post something like "H2s are for flaming cross-dressers, real men drive nothing that costs more than $5,000 because they save all the rest of their money for happy hour! long live schlitz! "

or whatever.

it might be useful to make the registration process harder? make a valid email addy with one of those "click here to finalize your registration" things? i signed my son up for a kids site once, and got one of those. i had to check my email, then click to be able to read/post or however it went.

on a side note, the comments above are remarkably... crazy. and that is fairly well sad, and probably not legal.

are comments like that generally directed towards the group as a whole, or towards specific persons?

That's pretty wild, and not really funny the way www.fuh2.com is funny or www.hummerdinger.com is funny. to me, those sites are so precious, and they have made me laugh out loud more in the last few months than the funny pages. 3rd would be various boards about hummer-vs-jeep, with their feigned videos and maniacal rantings, but for sure fuh2 and hummerdinger are my favorites. a bit of a shame, too, about hummerdinger, they aren't w/o a good point, the delivery is just so slap-stick that you can't help but miss the point and catch the comedy.

anyway, thanks for the insight into what you mods have to live with, pretty crazy.