PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

first offroad expedition of the serious sort

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Default first offroad expedition of the serious sort

pictures removed.

Well i took the H2 back to the family ranch/farm over the weekend, and tried to take it to task.

We tracked down all of the hils that we'd never been able to scale with the family jeeps (army issue jeeps, not modern wrangers) and pickups (all 4wd chevy 3/4 tons, the best of which was a 1977 which we suspect had some type of locking function, but don't know as we wouldn't have paid attentiont o such things back in those days).

And we took what pains we could to identify other obstacles that couldn't be scaled with the pickups. Now, i know these aftermarket jeeps with Chevy 350s and lift kits, and tires larger than the H2s, and mileage 1/2 of the H2s, and comfort 1/2 of a 1984 cavalier, and safety easily better than an open-cab go-kart have a pretty zealous following, and i'm sure its for good reason. But the pickups are hugely, hugely better for the real-life off-roading we had to do growing up in the wilderness (snow, muddy trails, take parts out into a field, etc.), and also better at things like scaling high hills and all of that.

We started by tackling a slough/swamp (clal it what you wish), and the hummer easily went farther into that than the pickups could, at at far lower speeds. We parked it in the swamp, and it sank to the point where it was supported by the nerf bars and got stuck. I guess thats a case of silly driver, never stop a vehicle over soddy mud. Basically, this is sod with nothing udner it but squishy mud. A pickup pulling from dry land couldn't get it out, and broke a tow rope in the process of trying, so we had to get an old john deere tractor. Now, if you think hummers are good in mud, or jacked up non-jeeps with 350s and all, you don't know squat. The heirarchy of mud-bogging in this universe goes: big tractor, big tractor with 4 big driven wheels, big tractor with 8 big driven wheels, caterpillar (tractor with tracks, not wheels), and even the Cats get stuck sometimes. No 4wd street vehicle can do anything next to a tractor in mud.

with some hills, finding ones that the jeeps or pickups would just run out of traction trying to scale, and slide back down, and moving on to some that would challenge the jeeps ability to not-tip. The H2 motored its way up the least of this previously un-conquered hills casually. Watching from outside, the big trucks 'puter-controlled 4wd system was cool to behold. Tires woudl spin slightly, then stop, then drive, repeat. But up it went with no drama at all. We estimated one of the hills at about 40 degrees, or well beyond the rated 60% grade capacity of the H2. More like an 80% grade. This is the one that just slides things back down once you get to the really steep parts. We locked the H2s rear diff, put it in low-range, and just motored up with the big V8 growling and snarling.

From there we drove around and tried to find some challenges. We tipped al usty eye towards some of the huge rockpiles that litter our farm, but for safety's sake we started smaller & tackled some cattled-induced ridges on steep hills. In winter storms, cattle tend to huddle on the steeper hills (good wind-shields), and they wear through the grass milling around, and then rain wears down the exposed dirty even more, repeat. The result are 12-24 inch fairly sharp ridges in the side of hills, we found a couple of nice ones, one that was about 18" of basically straight dirt at its center on a ~40-50% grade hill (just one big rock in the middle), and another that was 12-18", but the rim was lined with large rocks raising the overall height to 20-24" at points. That hill was steeper, at maybe 50+% grade (eyeball estimate) as far as we could tell, with large 6-10" rocks poking out of the ground the whole way.

Anyway, the pickups couldn't navigate over thes ridges (the nose just rams into the ridge), and they couldn't attempt the one hill (the other side of that hill is almost sheer) at all for fear of the protr

Old 05-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Default RE: first offroad expedition of the serious sort

more pics

the first 2 are that 7 foot, steep side-hill (where a prarie trail was cut out of), we drove the truck up and over that many times, always getting high-centered at the top, and always a front wheel would eventually drag us over. one is a pic of the hill in the gloaming light, and one is the truck on its way up, stilla tt he bottom.

my brother was driving on the side of that hill (which the hummer scaled) as i walked ahead to make sure no huge rocks were in the way, that was near 45 deg, and i figured a 12" rock might roll even a Hummer when starting at that angle, so we were careful. i asked him to dim the lights, and i thinkt he pic looks cool.

the rockpile pic... i chickened out and didn't try to actually go over some of these huge rockpiles, but i did drive the side - the drivers side wheels went over that big white rock you see in the front at the end of my path (not all that big, a foot or so, but it was fun, and i'm new at this, so there. )

Old 05-22-2006, 01:55 PM

Very Nice..Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-22-2006, 01:58 PM

more pics

i have blurred out any and all potentially personal information, as i just don't know what is appropriate to put on internet sites for all the world to see.

just some pictures of the ridges i was talking about, someo f the rocky hillsides that the jeeps/pickups couldn't scale, the mileage i got on the highway at 65 on the way home (just for fun ) and stuff.

[IMG]local://upfiles/437/4E653F6B8D054D52BDD43F35A0042680.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2006, 02:03 PM

here is a pick of the hummer after it sunk into the mud & got stock. i guess anybody with a clue about mud-bogging would know not to stop in the middle of the muck, huh?

also a pic of scooby doo on the DVD as we motored home, taken by my son.

and a pick of a fairly good sized rock the dealer drove my truck onto while giving me the basics of off-roading with le hummus

Old 05-22-2006, 02:21 PM

hey, yw dennis, i hope my pics don't look so weenie as to wind up on aftermarket-jeep sites across the country.

i'm j/k, of course

But to really experience the marvel that is an H2 isn't just to offroad and do things pickups and army-issue jeeps would wimper at the thought up with ease... thrilling yourself in the process, gradually growing braver, and wondering what greater challenges you could find...

its pulling up out of your last ditch, onto a highway, and suddently going from off-road machine to near-cadillac, listening to some tunes as you motor down the road in a great-riding, quiet, uber-comfortable lux-mobile..

then pulling up to the main-street bar at your hometown to say hello to the natives, and coming out to have a crowd around your truck. Or driving by after the local HS's graduation ceremony and having the entire crowd turn around to see your mud-plastered hummer motor by and wave at the grads.

then driving home watching movies and listening to tunes, once again in a near-caddy lux-mobile.

no other vehicle anywhere on this planet can do all three of those.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:26 PM

excellent story, sounds like fun, and you always have a place to go play. nice to see you're pushing it as you see fit. i would say something about stopping in mud, but it seems you've already learned what not to do in that situation. how far did you have to walk to go get the tractor?

Old 05-22-2006, 02:43 PM

Sounds like you really had a great time and enjoyed yourself, that is what life is about. I enjoyed your pics and your stories of your trip. I love to see what other Hummer owners are doing with there trucks.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: retnuh5
I love to see what other Hummer owners are doing with there trucks.
This may give some idea of what Blade is doing right now....

And of course, Shorty was last seen at this establishment..........Hmmmm, wonders never cease.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:03 PM

i've had to resort to doing it myself. with the roofrack, they won't let me through car washes any more. now it's a 3 hour adventure in the back yard. but, she's still clean, it's been 2 weeks . . . . yes, i am embarrassed to admit that . . . .

Quick Reply: first offroad expedition of the serious sort