PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

first mods for new hummer POLL

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Default first mods for new hummer POLL

Guys just checking what would be your first modifications if you were going to start doing some mild off roading. I have been wheeling for years in full size & jeeps, just curious what you guys think are priority.

I have a standard 2006 that also must driven everyday for work so I don’t want to reduce my mileage.

I just got my 06 last week (and is already at the GM dealer getting a new head) the dealer installed new 285 Goodyear RT/S tires so I cant see ripping them off for something more aggressive, what are your thoughts?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:06 PM

Pull off the nerf bars (if you have them), and install proper sliders.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
Pull off the nerf bars (if you have them), and install proper sliders.
So they will catch debris on the trail pretty easily? Infact was thinking of taking them off my 7 year old got her foot caught in between them I and went down face first! Thankfully you she put here hands down in time.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Yep, Remove the nurse bars! Then:

First thing you want to do for OffRoading your HUMMER is to protect the heart and sole of your HUMMER. UCP (Under Carrage Protection), will be the most benificial first thing you can do. It will protect your transmission and transfercase from damage. If you crack a tcase or trans pan your not going to go very far. The rest of it (Rock Rails, brush guard, rear skids, etc) can come later if you decide you want to get a little more serious.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM

The first thing I did on my 08 Alpha was replace the stock battery terminals, they're total junk. Checking voltage around the truck in different places it definitely improved.

If you have a handful of 4ga and 8ga ring terminals, heat shrink, some wire cutters, a crimp tool, and a sharp pocket knife it will take you about an hour to do if you have a beer or two in the process.

Going off of memory, on a stock truck you should have two ground wires, and three hot wires to re-terminal. The wire sleeve is tough as nails, and the copper inside is really thick strands so its kind of a pain to work with.

On the ground side you should need a 4ga and an 8ga terminal, on the positive side you should have three wires, but I used two terminals. One wire fits perfect into a 4ga terminal, and the other two can be crammed into a single 4ga terminal and crimped down. Everything has stayed super snug since then, and I get better power flow throughout the truck. I like doing things the best way possible so after crimping I added liberal amounts of solder to the crimp sites with my blow torch.

I got my terminals from KnuKonceptz.com

Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM

Chrome gas cap . . .
Ah just kidding, the guys above are right about protecting your undercarriage.
Me, I got a serious GPS navigation system from Lowrance
I go to areas inn the high mountains that are off the national forest maps and it has saved me many times when i was unsure of where to go. it was about $600.00
This is probably not what you were hoping for, but what the heck.
How about a serious tire pump for airing up your tires after off roading
but don't forget the chrome gas cap, lockable, sic.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Are you enjoying the H3? I bought my Hummer to replace my Grand Wagoneer and an old J-truck that I had. Gotta love the FSJs. I sure am enjoying the gas mileage increase in the Hummer!

It has nothing to do with wheeling but I think the first thing to do on any Hummer is to let it breathe. Get a better air intake and then start on the exhaust.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 PM

My offroading is primarily thru the swamps. Thick, black, gooey, smelly, break thru the top and there's no bottom, swamps. Stock skid plates are fine for that.

The first thing I added was a winch.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ak47dennis
So they will catch debris on the trail pretty easily? Infact was thinking of taking them off my 7 year old got her foot caught in between them I and went down face first! Thankfully you she put here hands down in time.
Yes. I've only been able to go play in the rocks one time - exactly 7 days after I bought it (then the winter weather kicked in). I yanked the nerf bars (nurse bars - heh heh) and headed out sans sliders. I'd rather wheel with nothing at all than the nerf bars.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I have not crawled under my H3 to look around - how exposed are tranny and tc - ie how important is the ucp for playing in the rocks?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM

If you're going over ANY rocks that could possible hit your undercarriage, you'll want UCP. Your stock H3 has a very small skid under the transfer case, but it won't prevent a rock from pounding in. The Transmission is the most susceptible to damage, no skid covers the big trans pan.

Quick Reply: first mods for new hummer POLL