PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

The Financial Woes of being a first-time home owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default The Financial Woes of being a first-time home owner

I chat with Nick alot about this, but I'm just curious if it's REALLY the norm to pretty much be broke, living paycheck to paycheck, when, during and after you buy your first home. Since our home is very energy-efficient (thanks to me being wise about the construction options), it isn't the utilities that do it, it's all those little things I didn't realize I needed and supplies to upkeep your home. I'm try to look on the bright side, which we made out like a bandit with the equity we have (new construction, and they were desperate to fill the lot), but it's sad to work 12 hours a day and seem like there's nothing left. THEN, I think about the people who don't have a home, who can barely afford to eat, and the elderly that have to choose between food and medication. It makes me come back to reality and realize howfortunate and gratefulI am to have what I have, and that maybe I shouldn't care about whether I'm just getting by, as long as I have a home.

OK, now that 21.3 million people on the internet know about my personal life, I just wonder if this is just a part of having your first home and if pretty much everybody has gone through this. I have lived by one phrase the past 2 years, and that has been "No matter how bad you think things are, there is ALWAYS somebody out there that has it worse" and when I put that into perspective, I think I'm doing pretty damn good.

Anybody else care to comment? I'd like to hear them!

Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Default RE: The Financial Woes of being a first-time home owner

Don't get pregnant...

Old 06-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

And there it is, the most insightful piece of advice you could give me. I'm deeply and emotionally taken by your great words of wisdom, bound forever with the blah blah blah yap yap yap and all that BS.

Thanks for nothin

Old 06-28-2007, 07:17 PM

sell the Hummer

Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Nowadays, it's very hard to have a "nest egg". The more one seems to make, the more they spend.

I remember the dayswhen I drove a beat up old Shadow and a 81 AMC Eagle. And went to the store with $5.00 to get a weeks worth of ooldes of noodles.[:'(]

As long as your happy and live within your budget, enjoy!!!!! You never know what the next day will bring.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

Nowadays, it's very hard to have a "nest egg". The more one seems to make, the more they spend.

I remember the dayswhen I drove a beat up old Shadow and a 81 AMC Eagle. And went to the store with $5.00 to get a weeks worth of ooldes of noodles.[:'(]

As long as your happy and live within your budget, enjoy!!!!! You never know what the next day will bring.
The "GOOD OLD DAYS"!!!

I remember when I was in University, me and the roomies used to LIVE on Ramen Soup and Buddig Packaged Meats!!!

But YEAH Mike.....Everyone goes through this at first. I remember the wife and I were so broke we had to SELL our 1st house and moved into a condo just to save $$$!!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

I remember the days when I drove a beat up old Shadow and a 81 AMC Eagle. And went to the store with $5.00 to get a weeks worth of ooldes of noodles.[:'(]

good lord, you and Marc are two peas in pod!! He says the same thing ... "why save, I may not be here tomorrow", "live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed", "if I want it I'm getting it that's why I work hard", ... I could go on!! And he doesn't worry about anything, not a care in the world. I guess I do enough worrying for the both of us. [&:]

I feel your pain Mike!!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:01 AM

quit smoking and gambling, do not eat fast food anymore, buy your groceries in bulk if you have to split it with another family its way cheaper.pay your mortgage bi weekly you will save thousands, putting money on your mortgage is like putting money in the bank you are building equity wich equells more security in the future owning a house means alot more than just having a place to live. so will see as you get older.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: azz7772

quit smoking and gambling, do not eat fast food anymore, buy your groceries in bulk if you have to split it with another family its way cheaper.pay your mortgage bi weekly you will save thousands, putting money on your mortgage is like putting money in the bank you are building equity wich equells more security in the future owning a house means alot more than just having a place to live. so will see as you get older.
I don't smoke

I don't gamble

I rarely eat fast food

I shop for groceries at non-commercialized stores where it's usually half the price

I pay extra into my mortgage

I'm gettin there buddy

After reading all of that stuff that happened to Brian, It really doesn't bother me too much anymore. There's three things I care about these days, which are my home, my wife and my friends and family. I think I have more real friends on here then I do in real life, mainly because there are alot of genuinely good people on this forum, far more then I run across in my life or even where I work. As long as I'm just making it, I have learned that its OK and everybody goes through it. I just figure sometimes maybe it's just me but after reading Bob's post, I don't feel so bad. I guess that's why I still donate money to certain causes, because I figure if I can afford to live the way I do, I can afford to help others as well. Anyway, thanks for all of the feedback. I feel better now

Old 06-29-2007, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

ORIGINAL: azz7772

I don't smoke

I don't gamble

I rarely eat fast food

I shop for groceries at non-commercialized stores where it's usually half the price

I pay extra into my mortgage

I'm gettin there buddy

After reading all of that stuff that happened to Brian, It really doesn't bother me too much anymore. There's three things I care about these days, which are my home, my wife and my friends and family. I think I have more real friends on here then I do in real life, mainly because there are alot of genuinely good people on this forum, far more then I run across in my life or even where I work. As long as I'm just making it, I have learned that its OK and everybody goes through it. I just figure sometimes maybe it's just me but after reading Bob's post, I don't feel so bad. I guess that's why I still donate money to certain causes, because I figure if I can afford to live the way I do, I can afford to help others as well. Anyway, thanks for all of the feedback. I feel better now
It's called being house poor bro, I would be too if it wasn't for the extra income I generate every month. I'd say the first 6 months were pretty rough on us, we needed EVERYTHING and we needed it yesterday. Just basic necessities, lawn mower, hoses, sprinklers, blinds, etc etc ... all that stuff really added up and took a pretty good toll on us too .. and keep in mind here bro, you're shouldering this whole responsibility on your own, I had help ... So if anything my hat goes off to ya for all your efforts and sacrifices .. it ain't easy maintaining a mortgage, vehicle loan, credit cards, and just simple living expenses on just one income ... sometimes I don't see how you make it happen!!!!

Quick Reply: The Financial Woes of being a first-time home owner