PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

finally!! An enclosed winch mount bumper!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Default finally!! An enclosed winch mount bumper!!

Made by predator..I found a few on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/H3-Hummer-Offroa...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 12-26-2006, 06:19 AM
Default RE: finally!! An enclosed winch mount bumper!!

Finally? The DOI winch bumper came out in May. And the one you linked to was originally designed by SMA but never got produced before they went under. Predator then bought up all their inventory and designs.

BTW, there will be a new bumper released within a few months that will blow both of these away. The prototype is still in the design/build stage but should be done in a couple weeks.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:29 AM

I like the idea of the hidden winch bumper and want to get one but would like the price to come down some first. The only problem I see is where to mount the front plate (New York requires one) and the service asspect if it breaks. Steve

Old 12-26-2006, 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Sewie

Finally? The DOI winch bumper came out in May. And the one you linked to was originally designed by SMA but never got produced before they went under. Predator then bought up all their inventory and designs.

BTW, there will be a new bumper released within a few months that will blow both of these away. The prototype is still in the design/build stage but should be done in a couple weeks.
I knew SMA made it but I never saw where to buy one until this ebay add, if it came out in may it was a pretty good kept secret cause I called everybody and couldn't get one.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

I knew SMA made it but I never saw where to buy one until this ebay add, if it came out in may it was a pretty good kept secret cause I called everybody and couldn't get one.
The SMA bumper never hit the market. The DOI bumper, which is almost identical, came out in May.

DOI Winch Bumper

TrailDuty has a bunch of package deals with different winch options.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: H3X442

I like the idea of the hidden winch bumper and want to get one but would like the price to come down some first. The only problem I see is where to mount the front plate (New York requires one) and the service asspect if it breaks. Steve
Although we tend to pay more for aftermarket stuff for Hummers [:@]the price of these bumpers is pretty fair. The one I referred to that is coming out will be even more expensive, I'm sure, but it will also be designed much better and will resolve the issues you mentioned.

BTW, if you get the DOI or Predator bumpers they make holders that will snap onto the roller fairlead. Or you can just mount your plate above the winch. This is a friend of mine with the DOI bumper setup.

[IMG]local://upfiles/482/C002BF7D73F74D2AA5771C1700F0FFEA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-27-2006, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the information Sewie. I knew there had to be somthing for the front plate. I may try to design my own winch mount based on a original front bumper plate (I think we have a leftover at work from a collision job). I am not in a hurry for this so will wait a bit. Steve

Old 12-27-2006, 09:42 PM

They look cool but when you get stuck in mud bad enough to need it your going to have to dig down to find it. Then when you can't see the cable piling up under there and get an overide your going to, yep dig down there if you can get to it at all. What about water crossings? If you cross a step banked stream or rocky ford and stob that fairlead in the other bank and can't back up then what. Just some devils advocate stuff, been there saw that.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1095/C1C7FECBF15041EC98026F17B6C7E06A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-27-2006, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunner
They look cool but when you get stuck in mud bad enough to need it your going to have to dig down to find it. Then when you can't see the cable piling up under there and get an overide your going to, yep dig down there if you can get to it at all. What about water crossings? If you cross a step banked stream or rocky ford and stob that fairlead in the other bank and can't back up then what. Just some devils advocate stuff, been there saw that.
With a hawse fairlead the bumpers like DOI or Predator hardly affect your approach angle. And even with the roller fairlead I only saw that truck I posted nick the fairlead maybe twice going through the Rubicon and Moab. Personally, I think access to the winch is the biggest issue with that design.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:22 AM

I agree about the access to the winch part, but if I'm stuck in mud deep enough that I have to dig to get to the winch....getting to the winch will be the least of my worries

I just like the in bumper system because of security and looks mostly. You have a winch hangin out here and I can guarentee that it will be gone in a week. I went through to two winches on my bronco in less than a year due to theft. My third one I finally welded the bolt head to the plate and welded the nut onto the bolt once I got it real tight.

Quick Reply: finally!! An enclosed winch mount bumper!!