PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

The Few...The Proud...The Marines

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Default RE: The Few...The Proud...The Marines

I agree and if we or you geeggee havea clear path then I will do what ever I can. I live right besides Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in Havelock NC. So I can get the ears and eyes of some brass we may need to get some things done. I retired out of there too and have still many friends there we may be able to use. I often thougth since I was here (hummer forum) what about a hummers forumthree day ride. I was ina Land Rover club and we did the same thing along the East coast up to NY from Fla and had members and LR owners tkae care of us at each stop! And this is off the seat of my britches. But I am all for something from Hummer owners (as i am partial)to help out all the veterans and what better time since so many of the heros are coming back banged up. So I agree about the Hummer owners. Heck I know it sound like a pipe dream but we could pull off some serious great things here. here is the link to the Jeep I speak of: http://www.warriorjeep.org/

I also thought with proper planning what about a Hummer drive. Maybe organize like three main runs, one on each coast and one down the middle with all the Hummers taking a 5 day trip or when it comes through your area you join in. Fund raise along the way, share the road with fellow Hummers, and each section has like a liaison there to plan events. For example as the ride goes through NC i figure out and plan events to raise money accordingly? Do some wheeling and convoy down the roads? I bet you any money we can get a H3 donated or at cost, set it up bad to the bone with paint and all, sell tickets ina year and pull it around for a while and either pay for the H3 andgive the proceeds to a organization. Or we sell sponsorship and tickets and show the Hummer and then give the hummer to the organization so even if Hummer or GM doesnt want to give us the vehicle we can pay them out of what we make!Well maybe its just a pipe dream but Im not the type of fellow that would ever say it wouldnt work unless we try! Could you image as i have no idea how many members are on this forum but we have enough here to do all this!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Heck looking at that jeep almost makes me want to go get another. Ok I guess it doesnt I have a Hummer! Just got caught up in the moment.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Here's an important link:

http://www.charitywatch.org/articles/car.html

Let's make sure the H3 gets used by those it's intended for.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 PM

I will bring it up to my AP&A guys at work on Monday. Not sure if they will do anything for it or not, but it can't hurt to try. Recruiting command loves spending $$.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad somebody on here has these ideas. I have a good friend who is an ex-Marine and was in Vietnam for a few years. He's been nothing less then a true friend and role model. I wish I lived closer to all of you. You guys are doing a good thing. My friend lives in CA (San Diego area)and is a CEO of a company (can't talk about it obviously). I wonder if he would want to get involved somehow. I can at least ask.

I had an idea a year or so ago to have a mass road trip for some kind of benefit and call it "Hummers Across America" in which we'd start on the east coast and gradually pick up members across the country, and basically carpool it all the way to the west coast. I wasn't even aware of this program until now. At the time, nobody seemed to interested in my idea. Now I'm starting to feel a big more positive about it.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 PM

Well there is nothing in the world that says Hummers across Americaa for Veterans wouldnt work. It doesnt mean you have to do the whole trip. You could do just your section or what ever the individual wants. When I was in the Corps we did a run one time from Philadelphia Pa to Camp LeJeune NC. We all didnt run the whole 500 miles. We all took a turn and when it was your turn you got off the bus and ran with the runner then he jumped on the bus and it rotated. Something like you are talking about Hummer Guy. Heck we can advertise it and start on a coast and just go. When a rider wants out they just ride with the group till they need to leave. As long as we have like a Hummer carrying our colors on so to speak we can do events and everything. Again say it was going to coastal NC where I live. I would scheule us some time to wheel on the beach and though The Croatan National Forest and all the way through NC we can use members to meet with and do it all across the US! Man I get fired up talking about it as i woudl use at least a weeks vaction to ride. Again did something very similiar ni the LR club I was in. Went to PA from NC and all along the way stayed at fellow clubs and owners land and house and stuff and along the way they organized their route for all there to do. It was aweswome. We could do it nationally with as many of us there are and pay back to the fellows like your friend and role model. And Rhill could tell you as I would. We can get recruiting stations and bases and reserve units along the way to help and pitch in.Heck what about Hummer dealers helping aliong the way>Could you imagine 20 Hummers outfitted pulling into a dealer!www. hummersacrossamerica.com sounds good!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 PM

I know I talk too much but heck I bet we post this thread and we ask just forum members to sound off on who would help just pick a route out and take the ride across there areas we could almost fill up a map. I am partial and will always be a Marine but this is for all the services as I value all of them. But the Marine Corps Wounded Warrior battalion is here in Jacksonville NC and I know we can get there and present them something or hang there. If we start on the coast or finish in NC I will pick up the ride and organize two or three days of the event though NC. Seriously I will get the military involved the Hummer dealers involved and get all logisitcs done! And I hate to say this but I would bet anyone I would get free lodging and food almost all the way across NC if not all the way! So there you go we need how many more states to ride across? And I promise I am done. But the Wounded Warrior Project was waiting on funding for a position for me. Now honestly I could not say for sure that they are going to get it but I have been told its mine. With that being said we can do this and even if I dont start working there a friend of mine and two others I worked with work there so I know WE have an in!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:35 AM

Hi George,

Thanks for your support! Please add a link to the site we appreciate you helping to spread the word. Thanks also for your offer of the H3 for the Center but at this time there really isn't much use. Many of the families stay at the on-site Fisher Houses but I will definitely keep your info on hand should something like this become more useful for the Center. Thank you again!

Matt Krause
Special Projects Coordinator

Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund
One Intrepid Square
W 46th Street & 12th Avenue
New York, NY 10036
P. 212-957-7021
F. 212-957-1989
[/align]

Old 04-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

I got a donation form from the DAV this weekend. For those of you who don't know what this is, it's the Disabled American Veterans organization. A postcard with one of the members stories is as follows:

I called my ex-Marine friend who was in Vietnam for 3 or so years to ask him about this organization. Apparently they do alot to help people, but also to tell him about this person. I did more research about him and found this:

http://cbs5.com/local/Jason.Poole.re....2.697304.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/22/na...ewanted=1&_r=1

I was going to create a separate thread about this but decided to add to this one. Ever since geegee and Gunz started posting about doing something for our soldiers, I have thought about it night and day since. I also told my friend about this also.

When people ask what kind of person a hero is to me, it's this man, and anybody else like him, who have been through very bad times and use what they have been through to motivate people into pulling through the toughest of times and being a better person to others in general.

Quite honestly, I'm getting tired of people blowing off other's stories like this and saying "oh this happens to alot of other people" or "there's alot of others like it" and blah blah blah. That doesn't mean it's right and people have to turn their heads the other way and use these as excuses to dismiss what people go though. Any day you can walk and talk freely, you should be grateful there are people like this living in miserable conditions, getting injured and killed, just so we can walk out our front doors every day and not have to worry about the same.

Anyway, I just hope that when the time comes and we do organize an event, whether it be months or a year from now, that people step up to the plate and get involved. I've been saying for a long time I want to do something to show all of our Armed Forces that they are appreciated and welcome when they come home, and have a good life waiting for them. I think every single American needs to take a little time to show their appreciation. If every person in this country gave just a little tiny bit to help in some way, this country would be a better place.

And anybody that reads this and blows it off and me just writing another story should take a look at yourselves in the mirror and ask what you have done to show your appreciation. I promise that no matter how long it takes, I'm going to do something good and you'll see what a few people are capable of. I can't make short-term promises but I sure can set long-term goals.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:28 PM

just got done looking in the mirror....damn I look good. [8D]

Quick Reply: The Few...The Proud...The Marines