PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Fan mod not for everyone

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the update. please keep us posted

Old 09-10-2011, 10:18 PM
CHP

Originally Posted by drtom
why??? would it take,,,longer to heat up?!!

i would think the thermostat would always be the boss in that fight regardless of fan/no fan/big fan/little fan

btw in winter when its 90 deg cooler i get good heat in a mile or 2 even from -10,so something is fishey
I'm reporting what I am observing that it seems to take a little longer to heat up. I have an 06 with the 180 F tstat that probably starts to open about 175 ish. I have a concern with delaying the torque converter lockup and perhaps the oil not getting hot enough to boil off any water vapor.

My guess is that the 4 bladed fan lets more air through the radiator when you are moving. This cools the coolant in the radiator better and the extra air flows across the engine to remove more heat. Many vehicles with electric fans turn off the fans when the vehicle is moving above a certain speed because the air being forced in through the radiator is sufficient. Perhaps the 8 bladed fan actually restricts the air flow when you are moving.

I'm

Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 AM
CHP

Tom,

I was thinking about the possibility of a stuck open tstat after you mentioned it. I let it idle from cold and monitored the ECT. I saw an increase in ECT until 175ish F then it started leveling off. I'm guessing that is when the tstat started opening.

I was thinking about the other stuff I had done to the H3 if that would influence the engine temps and here is my off-the-cuff list:

1) I removed the hood seal - this lets more air pass by the engine.
2) My cold air intake gets all of its air from the front of the grill - so no sucking in hot engine compartment temperatures.
3) I've been doing my own tuning for a while concentrating on both fuel economy and power. My city MPG is over 16, and for a comparison my son's Cadillac CTS is just over 16 MPG in the same area. So my efficiency is up and my residual heat is down placing less load on the cooling system. For example, I enhanced the stock DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) setting so that when I let off the gas the engine kills fuel even with city driving, and I think I optimized the tranny shifting/torque converter lockup to improved MPG.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CHP
Tom,
I was thinking about the other stuff I had done to the H3 if that would influence the engine temps and here is my off-the-cuff list:

1) I removed the hood seal - this lets more air pass by the engine.
What "hood seal" are you referring to? The one at the front on the underside of the hood, or the one on the truck just in front of the windshield?

The front one is there to try to force more air through the radiator instead of letting it get over the top. That one is important.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
CHP

Originally Posted by drtom
years back,an article on extreme mpg efforts showed an engine packed in insulation to keep it as hot as possible, but im guessing they also kept the input air as cool as they could.
i wonder how much energy is really used in cooling when just moving down the road cools a lot thru the rad. if cooler was better for mpr,u could freeze the engine! no tstat,etc.
the 195 stat keeps it hot for a reason huh, seems my obd2 read 192 steady on hot day in slow traffic, gage a tad under mid point

back to fan,mine is 7 blade so i cant do anything ,,,but trim blades,length,if i knew it was a fix.
i like the idea
I think it is better thermodynamically to run the engine hotter because more heat from the combustion goes into doing work instead of the heat going into the block.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:06 PM
CHP

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
What "hood seal" are you referring to? The one at the front on the underside of the hood, or the one on the truck just in front of the windshield?

The front one is there to try to force more air through the radiator instead of letting it get over the top. That one is important.
In the summer, I remove the hood seal near the windshield. I put the hood seal back in for the winter. I haven't had any issues with water.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:14 PM
CHP

I put the hood seal back in. It heated up a little faster and the engine temps increased by maybe 3 to 4 F.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 PM
CHP

I gained about 0.4 MPG so far. I need more data to be sure of the improvement.

I think I'm going to adjust the tstat to open at 185F instead of the 175ish now.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

if you're changing it,i guess, id like to hear about the job. messy im guessing.
oh,i surprised the temp changed with the seal. i thought the tstat would hold it.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM
CHP

I thought the typical cooling system only removes about 30% of the engine heat.

Removing the Tstat is going to be messy and the location makes it worse. Maybe it would be a good time to replace the coolant too.