PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Fan Belt $ question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Default Fan Belt $ question

Last week I noticed that when I start my truck the belt will squeal an awful lot, does so for a while until it heats up and also will when turning sometimes. I think the winter has killed my belt (I have 42k on this one). Does anyone know what exactly the cost to replace one of these are? My local shop I believe can do this change fairly easy? I know a few months back someone said on here they changed the part number at GM and I can't locate the new one.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Serpentine belts are easy to replace. Just order this one and change it yourself.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

The belt on my Jeep was squealing a little bit at startup a few months back. It stopped after about 10 seconds so I didn't worry about it. The belt broke one day when I was on the highway and I didn't notice it. My first indication was when the battery ran out of juice and left me stranded on the side of the road. Thank goodness for AAA! But I will never ignore a squealing belt again.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Banned

the first week i owned a h3 i found a belt at az or adv and stuck it in the back door jack storage, still there. having a spare almost assures you will never have belt trbl,,,cheep ins.

also the idler pulley is abt $15 so get it too,more ins!

oh its for chevy colorado,i5,3.7,,,they have it

an old friend taught me not to drive out of town without a spare belt

Last edited by drtom; 02-27-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:26 PM

Don't go to the dealer for a belt. It's a commodity, available from many different places:

NAPA - http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...+50221+2221013

Autozone - http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...questid=647993

Advanced Auto - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...51_10051_-1___

Pep Boys - http://www.pepboys.com/catalog/partr...ory=10&group=7

Any local mechanic can install it. It's a 15 minute job. You may need a new Idler Pulley, that may be what is actually squealing.
Replacing Belt & Pulley should take less than an hour.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:31 PM

I just used a socket or a wrench on the tensioner to change it out

Old 02-27-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
I just used a socket or a wrench on the tensioner to change it out
That's basically all you need to do. Loosen the tensioner, slip off the old belt, slide on the new one, release tensioner, done.
It's a One Beer job.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
That's basically all you need to do. Loosen the tensioner, slip off the old belt, slide on the new one, release tensioner, done.
It's a One Beer job.
Bunger, come on man! That's one of the jobs you WANT to stretch out to a 2 or 3 beer job. You have to stand around and look at your completed work before going back inside.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Bunger, come on man! That's one of the jobs you WANT to stretch out to a 2 or 3 beer job. You have to stand around and look at your completed work before going back inside.
You're right. What usually happens is that all jobs are a 6 beer minimum at my house

Or you finish the job and need to take a test ride ( to the local Sports Bar for a couple of beers and some wings) and get back home an hour later !

Last edited by Bunger; 02-28-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM

Old thread new question......So I change my serpentine today and notice I have a second belt (looks like ac) I look at all of the stores above and no one mentions this belt....anyone else have this problem on their Alpha?

Attached Thumbnails Fan Belt $ question-vortec-4.8l-5.3l-6.0l-belt.jpg  

Last edited by 08JJ; 04-01-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned

new to me, this bizarre way to mount a belt!
i dont have a v8 but got the book. first,is yours broke?. if not ,forget it but buy one and stash it.
to change it u cut it!. then put the belt part way on the 2 pulleys and with the help of a "special"tool, mount it! there is no tensioner!

do the big one and hope u dont need the air!

Quick Reply: Fan Belt $ question