PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Eye Opener

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 AM

Dude, keep your arsenal, save your money and just make the drive. Even if you have to pay for a rental for a few days, it's a lot cheaper than your repairs! Maybe it's because I don't have a great deal of disposable income, but spending that much that doesn't have to be spent makes me a little nauseated. If I throw-up, it's on your conscience. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:02 AM

I wonder if your local GM dealer is blowing a little smoke your way. Seems to me I heard that any GM dealer could do warranty work on a Hummer if they were capable of doing the work. Might be worth a call to the GM area rep.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

The CC your talking about is the small CC up by the exhaust manifold, correct?
Those are manifold CAT, sometimes called manifold mini CATs.

The broken stud happens with the L52 and LLR (3.5L and 3.7L) I5s. Happens most often when a half wit tries to losen the bolt to remove the manifold, like when they were raping you with the repair. It is a warranty item, happens more than you'll ever know. I would be talking very clearly and with my face very close to the service manager's face of your Chevy dealer. They have no doubt busted them when working on Colorados and are well aware of the problem.

They are a PITA to fix becaus you have to drill out the hard steel bolt without wandering into the aluminum head. Super cautious dealers will pull the head to drill out the broken stud, unless...... you are lucky enough to catch it with a stud/bolt extracor.

The manifold cats are also used on the colorados, so no matter how you cut it, it was always a warranty repair and your dealer should have sought authorization from GM warrany before doing any work and gave you the option of taking it to the hummer dealer if they could or did not know how to make it fly.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by bflank
I wonder if your local GM dealer is blowing a little smoke your way. Seems to me I heard that any GM dealer could do warranty work on a Hummer if they were capable of doing the work. Might be worth a call to the GM area rep.
No smoke. In the course of my workday, I just happened to see the dealership owner and spoke to him briefly about my dilema. He also confirmed that they do not do warranty service on the Hummer line. I called Hummer CS a short while ago and they said that not every GM dealer does warranty service on Hummers. The dealership would have to be involved in what they call Cross-line Warranty Service. This dealership just happens not to be involced with it. They are knocking 10% off the bill. I like the dealership and the owner. He is one of nicest persons I have ever met and his wife is a real sweetheart. He is one of the biggest givers in our community and has been so for years. I respect him a great deal. Anyhow, I will chalk this up as an experience not to forget or repeat. I will assure you one thing, it will be right before it leaves their shop. The dealership owner will make sure of that.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Well, good news. The dealership is covering the CC manifold. That was a relief. They still had to have the broken removed from the cyl head. I picked up the H3 this afternoon and no noises. The bill was only $1250. I am satisfied with that. Hopefully, I will have no more issues. Despite this latest escapade, I am still very happy with my H3.

ETA: It is so nice to have a quiet running, rattle-free vehicle. It is like a brand new H3. Hopefully, I can sell a couple of my ARs soon to put some cash back in the bank and get new wheels and tires.

Last edited by Tackleberry; 06-30-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 PM

If you can waste $1000 because 1 hour is too much a drive for you then you sure should not whine about it, its obvious you like to waste your money.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tackleberry
No smoke. In the course of my workday, I just happened to see the dealership owner and spoke to him briefly about my dilema. He also confirmed that they do not do warranty service on the Hummer line. I called Hummer CS a short while ago and they said that not every GM dealer does warranty service on Hummers. The dealership would have to be involved in what they call Cross-line Warranty Service. This dealership just happens not to be involced with it. They are knocking 10% off the bill. I like the dealership and the owner. He is one of nicest persons I have ever met and his wife is a real sweetheart. He is one of the biggest givers in our community and has been so for years. I respect him a great deal. Anyhow, I will chalk this up as an experience not to forget or repeat. I will assure you one thing, it will be right before it leaves their shop. The dealership owner will make sure of that.
LoL when he is able to rip people off in the community the way he did with you I am not surprised he throws you guys some scraps to make you feel better.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tackleberry
Hopefully, I can sell a couple of my ARs soon to put some cash back in the bank and get new wheels and tires.
I only have 1.5 AR15s. I'm looking for a 16" upper. Do you have anything of the sort for sale? Perferably in the Rock River/flat top style.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:56 AM

If any of the GM dealership stops warranty service for my H3 and my vehicle is operational i'll be making a trip up to 220 miles here to California for warranty service. I am just thankful for the friendliness and support of my current dealership service.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Slim
I only have 1.5 AR15s. I'm looking for a 16" upper. Do you have anything of the sort for sale? Perferably in the Rock River/flat top style.
Slim, I sent you a PM.