PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Extended warranty opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Default Extended warranty opinions

background: i've never been one to buy into extended warranties. with every new vehicle i've bought, including bikes, i laugh when they try to sell it to me. that being said, i went with one on the 08 H3 that i just bought used. i got a couple hundred knocked off their askingprice, so it was $1280 for an extra 2 years, covering virtually everything electrical and mechanical, with a $100 deductible. the interesting thing is that b/c the truck is an 08, the extended warranty covers it from the time i buy it, not from the original purchase date about a year ago, so it essentially turns into an almost-6-year warranty instead of 5 - basically almost 3 years for $1280.

anywho, my question is do you all think it's worth it? as much as i love the truck, i'm undecided if i think i'll keep it for that long given the way gas prices have steadily risen lately, and the fact that i have a feeling much more efficient trucks/SUVs are coming on the horizon. i have a feeling HUMMER will follow suit with this, so hopefully i can keep it in the family, since i really do love this vehicle. i have another day or two that i can get out oftheextended warranty if iwant. thanks for the input...

Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Default RE: Extended warranty opinions

Think of all the parts you could replace on that truck for $1350 dollars. Because that's what your paying the first time you have something fixed. And I don't know how many miles were on your 08, but it should have had a 4 year 50k bumper to bumper and a 5 year 100k powertrain.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:33 PM

I bought one extended warranty and I got lucky in that I used it for a new auto transmission at 80K miles. That said, on all my other vehicles I've never bought one and it would've never paid for itself. since you said you may bail on the H3 consider the fact that it may help on resale if you sell to a private party and talk up the warranty (just as the dealer sold you).

Extended warranties are like insurance except that they aren't required by law. Many of us will never, ever tap it but it does bring peace of mind, and wallet, if we have to use it. The money's sunk, don't worry about asking whether it was worth it. It might be, it might not, you won't know until it's over.

And as for insurance, in my 23 years of being insured, I've replaced one windshield under insurance. No other claims, ever. Hmm, who is coming out ahead on this deal? But I'm still glad I have it.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 AM

thanks for the input. yeah, it's got a 4yr/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper; i misspoke in that first post. i believe (off the top of my head) that this extends to it 6yrs/72,000 miles b-to-b. i guess the big question is will i keep it for more than 3 years? i wish i could see into the future to see what more fuel efficient vehicles they'll make, b/c i really love this truck and would love to get another.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 AM

If it's already a done deal and you've paid for it, don't look back. It's kinda like spilled milk. No sense fretting about it now. The 6yrs/72,000 miles b-to-b is great. Enjoy it.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 AM

1200 is a great price. I would go for it.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 PM

i asked a question like this a while back to no avail. i'm glad you brought it up though! 6 yrs, 72k miles, $100 deduct for $1280? that'sthe bestprice i've seen. whom did youpurchase the warranty from? i've beenthinking about buying one.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 PM

I bought an extended warranty for my used blazer, and it more than paid for itself.
I plan on buying one for my H3 as I get closer to 30k miles. Under 32k miles it doesn't have to be checked out before getting the warranty.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:46 PM

well, i do have one or two more days to go back and get a refund (i have up to 60 days to change my mind about), so that's why i brought it up. i always wait to the last minute for everything.

it's the GMPP, which is nice - i got it directly from the dealer, not an aftermarket company. i don't think i'd trust an aftermarket protection plan at all. pretty much the only thing that would need repair that it won't cover is the exhaust/cat converter and glass, although i got them to throw in windshield replacement if it cracks. my insurance company covers fixing chips in the windshield, so i've got that covered on both ends.

i think i'll end up keeing it. even if i change my mind later, there is a prorated refund after the initial 60 days. thanks again for the responses.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:14 PM

GMPP is decent, but not as good as the factory warranty. They'll make you jump through some hoops for certain repairs. The good news is that they'll still cover you if you offroad the truck. Something I'm just learning the hard way with the 3rd party warranty I (stupidly) purchased. [:@]

As for getting your money back, I don't know about GMPP, but I'm cancelling my 3rd party one and getting a refund, although it will be pro-rated. Don't know how much yet as I'm just starting the process.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty opinions