PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

exhaust whoo's over

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Default exhaust whoo's over

I posted last week ,
my dissatisfaction with a Flowmaster Delta 50 dual exhaust installed on my H3.
I took it back to the shop to hear 3 other exhaust to pick what I liked the best.
I heard them try out the other mufflers , but never asked me which one I liked best.
..Doesn't matter , I would of choosen the one they did anyways.They said I would be pleasantly surprised when they were done.
That this was the best sounding and deepest tone they could get out of the H3 with the I5 engine.I asked what they put in...
they took me to the back and I could hardly contain my surprise..it was a S.S. Borla..yeah baby.
They also added a S.S. Silverline resonator.I'm a happy camper now.
It doen't sound like a big V8, but thank God it doesn't still sound like a soupped up "rice racer".
It has a nice sophesticated soupped up sound like a BMW.
Even my wife noticed the difference , and likes it..she hated the other, she kept saying I sounded like a 16 y.o. punk with a soupped up civic.
Take care guys, Shawn

Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Default RE: exhaust whoo's over

good deal shawn. Can you take a pic?

Old 11-22-2006, 08:27 PM

Can't beat a Borla exhaust!!!! My next project that I thought was going to be next Spring!!!![:-] Yes, a S/S Borla.......

Old 11-23-2006, 06:09 AM

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

Can't beat a Borla exhaust!!!! My next project that I thought was going to be next Spring!!!![:-] Yes, a S/S Borla.......
Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 44
Size:  3.2 KB

Old 11-26-2006, 03:54 AM

Hey if you could can you take a sound clip or short vid inside and out? also if you have part numbers that would be great. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:49 AM

Here is Borla's website where you can hear the exhaust. Click on [Hear it Now], then Truck/SUV.

http://www.borla.com/

H3 2006 3.5L 5 cyl, #140166

Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 PM

Hey H3 thanks for the link. Is it much louder at cruising speed (70-75mph) than stock? I only ask because I had gone through several mufflers on my last suv (Isuzu Vehicross) and ended up with a Borla. It did sound the best, but for long drive it was still too much it even made it hard to talk in the car. So I’m trying to figure out if the H3 is better at keeping the noise out. In general it is a much quieter ride, which I love. Oh and was or is there any real performance gain? HP? MPG?

Old 11-28-2006, 01:38 PM

I'm ashamed to say ,
I only got to test her for 2 days.
I woke up early to get the kids some donuts (always find excuses to show off and drive the H3)
on friday.Eveything was fine , till I started up to leave the donut shop. It sounded like only 2 cylinders were firing and I got those dreaded messages flashing..reduced power..abs failure..traction control failure..chassis stability failure..stability track failure...
man what a drag..I only had my H3 for 2.5 weeks.

From the other post on this site it seems to be a common known problem...
..the loose wire into the fusebox under the hood.
I still havent heard back from hummer , their tech was out till yesterday(monday).
I don't think they can blame the new exhaust , and pray they don't go there.

Luckily they put me up in a 06 H3..so I can make better comparisions.
This was my first full fillup to check miles.I only averaged 13.8 miles on the fillup from the dealer .A lot of city stop and go, plus running the H3 while parked for the kids to watch dvd's..alittle disappointing.I filled up the next day after I got the Flowmaster delta 50, so I never got to check for gains in mpg this fill up.What I did notice was that the Flowmaster had more speed and torque compared to stock and the Borla ( at least sounded that way), but was way noisier because they insatalled it with out a resonator.THe Borla had
a resonator installed.Its still perkier than stock , just a little less perky than the Flowmaster.It now has a deeper tone that you don't really notice at idle.Its louder than stock , but not obnoxiously louder like the flowmaster.The flowmaster sounded like you were always trying to get on it , even when going only 30 mph.The borla is there when you want it to be , but not all the time like the flowmaster.
The best thing is the sound over the Flowmaster.The flowmaster didn't sound bad , it just sounded like a rice racer allways getting on it.
Sorry for the lack of solid testing figures , but thats the best I can do so far.
I'll take pictures when I get her back.
Take care , Shawn

Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM

For air intake systems ,
is Volant or K&N the way to go ??Thanks..Shawn

Old 11-28-2006, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

Here is Borla's website where you can hear the exhaust. Click on [Hear it Now], then Truck/SUV.

http://www.borla.com/

H3 2006 3.5L 5 cyl, #140166

There's no way to hear the specific H3 sound on the website, correct? The sound you get from the truck/suv link ain't no five cylinder.

Quick Reply: exhaust whoo's over