PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

exhaust drone

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Default exhaust drone

so i have the magnaflow cat back kit for my 06 h3 running with a volant cai. i love the setup for the most part but the constant drone when cruising at highwy speeds(about 2000rpm) is starting to bother me. has anyone figured out a way to quiet this? i was wondering if a pcm tune would help, or has anyone removed the resonator on the magnaflow kit? i hate to go back to stock because i like the performance and the sound of it most times and especially like the looks of the dual tips...but i do alot of highway driving and the drone is kinda annoying because i really liked how quiet the cab was when stock. thanks for any help fellas.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:44 PM

I thought Magnaflow had no drone! I just ordered the Magnaflow and a k&n. I also do a lot of highway driving. Hmmm

Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM

My friend has the same issue on his Chrysler Crossfire. When cruising at 70-80 the drone is terrible in the cabin. He said there might be silencers you can buy for the exhausts, but the exhaust sound outside will go down.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:27 AM

Do a search for K&N on here. You might be surprised..and save some money. One of the members did a dyno..PAPER filter..MORE HP.....

Old 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM

i just talked to tech support at magnaflow and he told me it shouldnt be a loud drone. he thinks the CAI could be causing the drone since magnaflow kits are designed to work off of the stock intake. He said i can also put a bigger resonator on to quiet it. im gonna try the stock intake first.
ill keep you posted.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:46 PM

It's likely not the Volant, as there isn't any real sound until you crank up the rpm's. Mine had a drone sound, but it was due to removing the resonator; I had to put it back on. With both the Magnaflow & Flowmaster, there is a slight drone, but you'll get used to it because the exhaust sounds so much better.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:54 PM

I'd much rather have better sound with a bit of drone. I do exhaust on most of my cars so it won't bother me. I'll be sure top post up pics when it's on.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:01 PM

I have the same problem with the Volant intake/exhaust combo. Been thinking about just taking it out and having a muffler shop drop in a flowmaster. That drone in the back seat is atrocious.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:04 PM

I'm going k&n and magnaflow. Maybe it won't be as bad as with the Volant

Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ozark1
Do a search for K&N on here. You might be surprised..and save some money. One of the members did a dyno..PAPER filter..MORE HP.....
Possibly this is true with the factory tune, but after getting a PCM4Less I dont think this would hold true, also Ive heard the gain with the paper was in an unusable RPM range...

Quick Reply: exhaust drone