PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:55 PM

The honest best, easiest and cheapest bet is to sell/trade/turn in your base for an Alpha. I don't mind the I5 as my H3 is a DD.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 AM

Just do what your doctor (Doc Olds) tells you . . .

Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by lucky19942001
any 1 with a I-5 engine ever have it taken out and have a better or more powerful engine put in. i ask cause my 06 was in the shop and they gave me a loaner 08 alpha and that thing rocked.i mean the power was awsome and i have doene stuff to my 06 h3 like air intake ,performance exhaust, pcm tune and it still did not come close to the 08 alpha. so was wondering if its possible to replace the engine , being that i have done alot of work on my h3 and have alot of bells and whistles so i dont wana get a new one . so if u done or no where to get a engine or any info let me no cause i am really interested in droping a kick *** powerful engine in my 06 h3. thanks
This is not that hard to do and alot cheaper than buying a V8 hummer. You should be-able to do this for about 5 grand if you shop around a bit.

Check this out it is a colorado but, very similar, and based off the same platform as the H3.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/o...ou-guys-23952/

Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by jcklee
Got this off another forum:

There's a lot involved. You will first need the PCM harness and dash harness, exhaust (or custom), radiator hose's, trans coolant lines, ac lines, radiator, motor mounts (only the 2009 I got has them so not all take offs will) and you will need a PCM reflash and if your not transplanting the same year (if you got a 2006 and your installing a 2008 engine) you will need a PCM from the same engine year. It don't have to be out of a alpha it just has to match the year is all. Your transmission will not be a issue, it will bolt rite up to a 5.3 but it won't bolt up to the 6.0. Don't worry about breaking it, all H3's (unless its a manual) have the same trans, the 4L65E. If it is a manual it will still bolt up but I don't think they had a manual alpha unless it got ordered. I forget but you may need the trans harness because your old one may not be long enough so if you can extend it that may be a cheaper option.

The trans won't directly bolt up, automatics just have to swap input shafts, bell-housings, torque convertors.

Ma5 manual needs new fly-wheel clutch, advanced adapters bell-housing, trans spacer, and a few mods here and there.

06-07 hummer should use E40 PCM and 24x ignition motor.
08-12 hummer could use E67 and a 58x ignition motor.

You can go either way, but sticking with the above rule is the easiest.
in 08 hummer changed the fire wall, and frame rails for the V8 making room for a truck style intake. The older models will work still, just use the car style intake manifold.

Current performance, makes engine mounts (called colorado LSX mounts) should also work on the H3 hummer.

I offer wirring harness, etc

Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
there was a thread here about this, someone did do it with a 5.3

Love to see that!! Pm me a link if you find it!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:54 AM

Thanks for digging up every old engine swap thread on this forum.

I see you are trying to SELL us something but it seems you don't know much about GMT 345s (our HUMMERs) not 355s (Canyon/Colorado) . You may want to do some research before stating anything about options for swaps, cost of an Alpha over an I5, etc.

I love the mis/un informed!

Last edited by TAINTER; 05-02-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Thanks for digging up every old engine swap thread on this forum.

I see you are trying to SELL us something but it seems you don't know much about GMT 345s (our HUMMERs) not 355s (Canyon/Colorado) . You may want to do some research before stating anything about options for swaps, cost of an Alpha over an I5, etc.

I love the mis/un informed!
Please tell me how to edit a posting?? I would like to remove anywhere were it says I can build you a harness.

If a Mod does this than, I would depreciate leaving up the other info, as it is useful to people, and does not benefit, me in anyway!

Also I removed the words in my sig, until someone let's me know if that is ok or not! Again sorry, and no need to nail be to the wall I honestly didn't mean to upset the apple cart, and offend you Tainter! My name is Jamie, and maybe you will forgive me, and teach me all I want to know about 345, some day!!