PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Engine size question!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:06 AM
Default RE: Engine size question!!

I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance of the I5. However, the one thing that really bugs me and was almost a deal breaker during the test drive is how it sounds from inside the cab. Under acceleration, the noise coming from this engine sounds like a hand-cranked egg beater at full speed. Or a small diesel motor, which wouldn't bother me one bit if it actually was a diesel. I don't think it's a sound that's characteristic of an I5 motor... I've had an Audi Quattro Turbo Coupe that sounded great. So did my mother's Audi 5000. And my sister in law's Volvo S70 sounds much more refined than my Hummer's I5.Fortunately, the virtues of the H3 outweighed the one gripe I had against it, and I'm quite happy with the overall package. I've learned to accept the egg beater sound as one of the quirks that gives the H3 an interesting personality.

That being said, I think replacing the I5 with a V6 would be a good thing... but I think I'll wait for the diesel...

Old 04-13-2008, 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: g_traveller

I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance of the I5. However, the one thing that really bugs me and was almost a deal breaker during the test drive is how it sounds from inside the cab. Under acceleration, the noise coming from this engine sounds like a hand-cranked egg beater at full speed. Or a small diesel motor, which wouldn't bother me one bit if it actually was a diesel. I don't think it's a sound that's characteristic of an I5 motor... I've had an Audi Quattro Turbo Coupe that sounded great. So did my mother's Audi 5000. And my sister in law's Volvo S70 sounds much more refined than my Hummer's I5.Fortunately, the virtues of the H3 outweighed the one gripe I had against it, and I'm quite happy with the overall package. I've learned to accept the egg beater sound as one of the quirks that gives the H3 an interesting personality.

That being said, I think replacing the I5 with a V6 would be a good thing... but I think I'll wait for the diesel...
You think it's loud now?? Just wait until you put a cold air intake on it. I put the K&N FIPK on mine and now it's very buzzy and loud, but the performance gain is worth it. And, it almost sounds cool.......Almost. LOL.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:52 AM

I would rather have a V anything because having an inline set engine totally nerfs any hopes for an exhaust system that is obnoxiously loud ):

Old 04-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Well only time will tell if this is a good move or not. The I-5 is still an awsome engine.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 PM

Hmmm, well this just makes my decision a whole lot harder. I want an H3 in the worst way. However I might try to hold out for the V6. Now the I5 does have 242 hp and 242 tq @ 4600 rpm, the V6 will put out 302 hp and 272 tq at 6300 rpm is it worth the wait? Is making 60 more hp at that rpm all that much of a good thing. I think GM is going to have to also update the transmission, but I could be wrong. I also wonder what is going to happen to the Alpha (300 hp 320 tq @ 5200 rpm). It looks like the V6 is too close to the V8 in performance. Maybe this is where the diesel engine comes in with its stump pulling torque?

Just my $0.02

White Wolf
Please Recycle

Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 AM

The tranny mated to our I-5 is the same one used in the Yukon XL so no changes needed there. The Alpha uses basically the same tranny too. Yes, the I-5 sounds like farm machinery but there's no way to make an inline 5 cylinder engine sound good as compared to aV-8. Even if it had a V-6 it would still sound like a V-6, there's just no way around that sound element. If you want it to sound cool, get an Alpha!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:17 AM

Any idea which 6 it will be? The 4.3?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:50 PM

Its GM's 3.6 direct injection engine that is in the Cadilac STS.

I think (and correct me if i'm wrong) that GM will need to tweek the transmission or the rear end to make this engine usable in the H3. The 3.6 makes 302 hp / 272 tq @ 6300 rpm. So you need to really spool it up to get out the power (which is not that condusive to rock crawling and trail running). I also think they will offer either a transmission with a some extra gears or a real transfer case (allow 2wd mode) to help with mpg.

White Wolf
Please Recycle

Old 04-16-2008, 05:25 AM

The I-5 is a 4.2 I-6 with a cylinder chopped off. The I-5 comes from a strong I-6 series. Though going to a V-6 is great for space but the I-6 is better for torque. I doubt the tranny will change because its rated up to 350 HP from the factory. I say give us a diesel option (V-6) or an I-5 Turbo diesel or supercharged V-6 like the old 3.8s.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 AM

That's the optional automatic transmission The standard transmission is only rated to 225 ft/lb tq.

The H3 is a very suitable application for an I5 engine.

Quick Reply: Engine size question!!