PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Engine size question!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Default Engine size question!!

Ok, to start off, i am more than satisfied with my I-5. No need for the V-8 because I don't haul anything heavy and love the gas milage (and not worth the extramoney for the little bit of difference ). ANYWAYZ, i read they were going to be putting in a V-6 down the line. Now why would they do that when the I-5 is comparable to the V-6? Why not an I-6? I think that would be adream match for this vehice. What do all of you think?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Default RE: Engine size question!!

They're putting in the V-6 because GM is switching to that engine for the Colorado. Since they share the same factory/assembly line probably just easier for them.
I got the 3.7 I-5 and find it has plenty of power for highway driving as well as off roading.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Vs are smoother than the I5. There isn't enough room for an I6 (front to back), but there is room for a V6 side to side.

And..............what Trey said.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:11 AM

I kinda figured there wouldn't be enough room.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:20 AM

Plus, what else uses the I5? They will probably use an off the shelf V6 that may cost them less to produce since it's in other vehicles. The I5 has a bad reputation among many would be buyers too. Not many car makers have carried their I5 for too long. Acura had one for a while years ago, Volvo has one in their new C30. I think engineers like them but much of the buying public (except us, of course) isn't sold on it.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: alrock

Plus, what else uses the I5? They will probably use an off the shelf V6 that may cost them less to produce since it's in other vehicles. The I5 has a bad reputation among many would be buyers too. Not many car makers have carried their I5 for too long. Acura had one for a while years ago, Volvo has one in their new C30. I think engineers like them but much of the buying public (except us, of course) isn't sold on it.
Exactly. Everyone I show my H3 to almost cracks a smile when I tell them it has an I-5. They always think I am lying when I tell them that it has plenty of power for "everyday" use. I still would have liked the V8, but overall I am not unhappy with the I-5 at all.

I have an older Jeep Cherokee that has an inline 6 and the power feels almost to be the same.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 PM

IF the H3 is getting a "SIX," maybe they are going to update the trans too?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Think of it this way. I had a 1978 Chevy PU with a two bolt main 350 4brrl V8, it was rated at 175 HP. Had so much smog bull crap and no engineering put into it for years basically it could not get out of its own way. [&o]

The 2007 I5 is rated at 242HP. I find that impressive.
The thing that is really cool about a 5 vs I4 or I6, is the five makes considerably more power than a four because there is always an overlapping power stroke. It is smaller and lighter than the I6, and can make almost as much power, while enjoying all the tourque that inlines are known for. I think it is a pretty cool motor, and with my CAT back exhaust, PCM tune and AirDocIntake with K&N filter, it does fine. Actually sounds mean.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: White08H3

ORIGINAL: alrock

Exactly. Everyone I show my H3 to almost cracks a smile when I tell them it has an I-5. They always think I am lying when I tell them that it has plenty of power for "everyday" use. I still would have liked the V8, but overall I am not unhappy with the I-5 at all.

I have an older Jeep Cherokee that has an inline 6 and the power feels almost to be the same.
Actually your I-5 makes considerably more power than any 4.0L inline 6 from Jeep has ever made, from the factory of course.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 PM

it is...if my memory serves me correctly it is somewhere around 190 hp. (1995, I-6 Sport 2WD). The power overall seems to be the same with general driving, however it is evident it makes considerable more.

Quick Reply: Engine size question!!