PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Engine bay to interior wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Default Engine bay to interior wiring

So on the week end I finally installed an LED light bar on the front of my H3 (photos to come), wired everything up, including correct relays and fuses, made it look like factory wiring in the engine bay.

Now here comes my problem:

I could not find any way of running a wire from the engine bay into the interior of my H3 so I could mount a switch on the dash

Where is the best spot to run a wire?? Is there a provision somewhere??

Any help with photos will be greatly appreciated.

Will grab some photos of my newly installed light bar soon.

I have temporarily wired the light bar to the high beam head light wiring to trigger the relay, as such activating the light bar when the high beams are turned on, this is however illegal here and it needs to be run through a separate switch to pass the annual road worthy inspection. Doing a lot of night driving at the moment and as such needed this bar to work ASAP.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 PM

above your left foot,(no clutch) there is a hole in one layer of thr 2 layer firewall. i drilled thru there and used a hole punch to make it about 1 inch for any future wires. i ran wires thru hose and packed sticky putty around it.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 PM

Since I had to run CB, Lighting and "other" wires I used a large Unibit (step drill) and a Daystar Firewall grommet (KU20040BK). Then some heat shrink tape. I can modify the size of the opening if/when I need to run more wires. We wheel our stuff like you do and it is water tight! No "rigged" stuff here.

DayStar KU20040BK Firewall Boot | eBay

Wire Grommet and Boot - Daystar - YouTube

Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
above your left foot,(no clutch) there is a hole in one layer of thr 2 layer firewall. i drilled thru there and used a hole punch to make it about 1 inch for any future wires. i ran wires thru hose and packed sticky putty around it.
Will check that spot out, mine has no clutch it's an auto.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Since I had to run CB, Lighting and "other" wires I used a large Unibit (step drill) and a Daystar Firewall grommet (KU20040BK). Then some heat shrink tape. I can modify the size of the opening if/when I need to run more wires. We wheel our stuff like you do and it is water tight! No "rigged" stuff here.

DayStar KU20040BK Firewall Boot | eBay

Wire Grommet and Boot - Daystar - YouTube
Cool, where did you drill the hole?? I am a bit concerned about just starting to drill, as it's hard to work out where it will come out, and it seems that the fire wall is double layered in places.

A photo would be worth a thousand words.

CB wiring may be next as well

Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 AM

the putty i rigged up is stuff phone/electrical guys use for water tite plugging. ez to change

you cant miss the hole, i guess u missed this!!

use that hole as a guide and u wont drill thru the intake or motor or anything important

Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Will check it out next time I have a day off, sounds like it will be easy enough.