PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Electrical issues with brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 08:13 AM
Default Electrical issues with brake lights

I have been dealing with this issue of the brake lights not working. It's all of nothing. All 3 work or none do. And it's intermittent, but getting worse. (To point where they rarely work). This eliminates the bulbs themselves. I have checked fuses, and BOTH one under hood and inside kick panel are good. I switched relays for that and another, and at first thought that fixed it because they worked afterwards one time.....but then didn't again, so seems it was just coincidence. Sometimes turning on the running lights or hitting the unlock and lock on key fob seems to get them to work temporarily.

I have tested the fuse under hood while the lights are not working ......and I have power at that first fuse. But I do not get power at the second fuse inside kick panel, while pressing brake pedal, when they are not working. I think most would say it's the "brake sensor" on the brake pedal with this diagnosis......but with it being so intermittent and affected by other things like turning running lights on or key fob, common sense tells me it's not the brake switch but an electrical problem like frayed wire, bad ground ect.

I have common sense and a will to learn but do not know how to trouble shoot and narrow down from this point. Please help! Thank you kindly in advance.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:53 PM

some aftermarket alarms use the brake switch to disable a car if pressed when the engine is remote started. maybe they patched into it. also the brake switch itself may be intermittent. they can be removed inspected carefully torn apart and cleaned out if necessary.

Old 07-23-2023, 12:30 PM

I agree with bronxtech on this. Look for electrical aftermarket crap installed.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:28 PM
Default Update......Fixed

Originally Posted by bronxteck
some aftermarket alarms use the brake switch to disable a car if pressed when the engine is remote started. maybe they patched into it. also the brake switch itself may be intermittent. they can be removed inspected carefully torn apart and cleaned out if necessary.
Date

just wanted to update, It was the brake switch. Thank you.