PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Electric Shock.. Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Default Electric Shock.. Wont Start

I got in my 2010 H3T today, and put the key in the ignition.
Immediately when the key touched the metal ignition I received a shock (that went all through my body) and then the car started clicking on and off for a few seconds.

After 'recovering' it was more of a HOLY **** moment than actual pain, so I was fine, but then I tried to start the car and it wouldnt start. It had been running 5 minutes prior.

It just clicks when I turn the key, and seems as if the battery were dead, which is really weird because it's new and fully charged.

What couldve happened?
Just a fuse?
I was going to check them, but since its not in the garage, and its -55 with wind chill outside right now I am not going to go fidget with that.

What can I check for in the morning?
And yes its plugged in and block heater is working so it shouldnt freeze overnight.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Anybody?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Does not sound like the shock was static electricity. I would check the wiring to my block heater if in fact it was plugged in when this happend. I think you got zapped by 110 volts ac. If it was not plugged in, then I don't have a clue.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 02-01-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Assumed facts not in evidence.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 PM

a 14.4volt shock will only scare you not hurt in any way. I'm with RKSmith here, either you have your block heater plugged into a 2 prong instead of a 3 prong outlet and/or you have a major issue with the block heater itself and possably your new "T" has a fried computer now!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

were u standind outside?, grounded like with wet shoes?

if the heater cord made the metal hot, u had to be grounded to earth, not the truck?

did the key actually go into the ign ?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 PM

When I got zapped, it was not plugged and I was sitting in the truck.

I left it overnight outside as usual since it wouldnt start, and it was plugged in.
Next morning still wouldnt start, just the clicking.

I got my mechanic to come take a look and he said my battery is finished..

I dont know how that couldve happened it doenst make sense, none of the lights were on to kill it.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Banned

if its JUST the batt ure lucky.

have the heater cord checked,then see if theres ac volts,120 on the truck!!.

u could blow all the electronics.

i cant see how u got shocked,inside , not grounded?
obviously unplug it b4 anything!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 PM

Call the 1-800-HUMMER line and have a flat bed come and take your new H3T to the dealer. You will get free towing to the nearest HUMMER certified dealer within reason.

Then let us knwo what they find out. I am very curious.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 AM

Haha, Tainter that would be a good suggestion if it were possible for me. I live in Nunavut, the nearest hummer dealer is 3000km away and the only way out of town is by cargo ship or plane.

I can take it to the "authorized warranty provider" but honestly they dont know what theyre doing. If they cant get it started with a new battery they'll end up flying somebody up to fix it.

Anyway she's still brand new so I dont see me being forced into paying anything.. Maybe ill give Hummer a call too, thanks.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Banned
Default sumpin fishey

When I got zapped, it was not plugged and I was sitting in the truck
heater not plugged in??? u sitting in truck???

thats what EVERY H3 OWNER does 6 times a day and this is the FIRST time ive heard of a shock in my 20 months here!!

soo this story needs more accurate info,12v batts dont shock!! and tires are good insulators,and if youre IN THE TRUCK ,,,whats left???

Quick Reply: Electric Shock.. Wont Start