PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Electric Fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Default RE: Electric Fan

I hear you Steve, yet all the FWD cars use electric fans w/o problems.

"A cooling system relies on some type of fan to move air at slow vehicle speeds. While mechanical fans usually work fine, when cooling conditions become complicated, electric fans not only provide superior airflow over mechanical fans, but they also commandeer less horsepower (some large mechanical fans can consume over 15 hp at 6,500 rpm). Furthermore, most mechanical flex fans are not designed for high-rpm use and can present serious vibrations concerns due to air turbulence."

Old 12-19-2007, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

I hear you Steve, yet all the FWD cars use electric fans w/o problems.
True, but I can only think of a few vehicles with front mounted longitudinal engines that use electric fans. Electric fans are most often used out of necessity.

The best electric fan you can buy, and would probably fit the H3 is the stock fanfor a late model Crown Vic.. If you want a controler that will last, go here http://www.madenterprise.com/and take a look at the one in the F150 section.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 PM

Sometimes you just have to wonder why the pencil pushers at GM chose this type of cooling system instead of an electric one. I guess both have pros and cons and the wifes rice burner fan never gives her an ounce of trouble. As for the H2O issue...I can't think of a wetter place to be driving than here in Florida in the Summer. That fan get soaked almost every day in July and doesn't miss a beat. But still....I'm wondering why GM chose this set-up over electric?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:29 AM

Just to clarify, it's not that electric fans are problematic, its when electric fans are retrofitted that you tend to have issues.

The problem with electric fans an water arises when the blades of the fan are submerged. Its not uncommon for the blades to sheer off, or the fan motor to burn up.

Electric fans aren't bad, I was just pointing out some of the issues you run in to when you switch over from a mechanical fan.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve #1

True, but I can only think of a few vehicles with front mounted longitudinal engines that use electric fans. Electric fans are most often used out of necessity.
All BMW and Mercedes cars have a front longitudinal engine and use electric fans. I think the main reason that you don't see more front longitudinal engines with the fans is that there just aren't that many cars setup that way anymore. Everything is front wheel drive now. And I'm sure that the cost of a mechanical fan is quite a bit less than the electric fan, whichrequires another relay and additional wiring. For GM, this additional cost could also be a big factor in the decision.

As far as the electrical fan using up engine HP:

The alternator is spinning and generating current all the time. It's not like an A/C compressor with a clutch that turns on and off. Whether you're using the current supplied by the alternator or not, it's still spinning. Using extra current with an electric fan isn't going to cause anymore load on the engine. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Grant

All BMW and Mercedes cars have a front longitudinal engine and use electric fans. I think the main reason that you don't see more front longitudinal engines with the fans is that there just aren't that many cars setup that way anymore. Everything is front wheel drive now. And I'm sure that the cost of a mechanical fan is quite a bit less than the electric fan, whichrequires another relay and additional wiring. For GM, this additional cost could also be a big factor in the decision.
I agree, cost is a factor along with small grills an swoopy hood lines. Trucks and SUVs are set up great for using a fan driven by the engine which is why they are having a harder time getting away from them. Probably comes down to a MPG vs $ argument with the bean counters.

ORIGINAL: Grant
As far as the electrical fan using up engine HP:

The alternator is spinning and generating current all the time. It's not like an A/C compressor with a clutch that turns on and off. Whether you're using the current supplied by the alternator or not, it's still spinning. Using extra current with an electric fan isn't going to cause anymore load on the engine. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Actually the alternator is spinning all the time, but it only generates current when the the voltage regulator tells it to. Spinning takes very little horsepower, generating electricity (with an automotive alternator) takes about 1HP per 25-30 amps. Electric fan probably runs 40 amps at high speed, so a little over 1 hp. Yes, I'm sure the mechanical fan takes more than 1 hp wouldn't be surprised to see 10+ hp with the clutch engaged.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:12 PM

I know lots of vehicles come with electric fans. If you look though, most, if not allheavy duty vehicles use a mechanical type fan because it allows greater cooling over a broad range of situations. Go look at a Chevy 3500 diesel and see what kind of fan it has. I had a 68 Impala with over 400 HP, and the mechanical fan kept it cooler then the electric. It does rob more HP, but I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing I won't overheat when I'm working the engine hard.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:29 PM

Electric fans make HP, no load on the engine.Though the clutch fans of today are pretty "smart" being that some have thermal viscosity type fluids in the assembly, sort of like FLuid Damper. Your Fan is usless over 40mph or is it 30mph.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Steve #1
It puts more load on the alternator, which reduces HP to the rear wheels..... electricity ain't free.

There are many factors to consider before switching to an electric fan, among them are how much of a load do you have on your electrical system already? Will the fan have enough power with the headlights on, HV/AC fan on high, stereo turned up? Aftermarket fan controllers are notoriously flaky, and chances are, when the controller fries and you overheat, it probably wont be a nice cool day. For those of us who go off road, in deep water, if you forget to turn the fan of and the blades end up under water, it's toast. If the electric fans don't cool well enough, engine temps go up and you lose HP there. I could go on......

Even if you see a marginal improvement on a dyno, it still won't give you a real world picture of how well it will work.

I'm not saying you wouldn't see an increase in HP, you probably would, maybe 5 hp (WAG)in real world situations, but in my book it isn't worth the cost and all the other issues that come with electric fans.
I would have to disagree. In computer controlled cars the battery is what supplies the "juice" to electrical loads and the alternator recharges/maintains the batteries 12.5 + levels. The alternator maintains a constant level of juice to the battery independent of rpms. Proven with my spec 3 BMW with an electric fan..... Dyno Hp to wheels with and without fan running is 206. Electric fan has no effect on HP.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

Using extra current with an electric fan isn't going to cause anymore load on the engine. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
yeah,,,ure rong as my speling,,both of u.
if it was free power you could get free mileage ,,like a chevy volt!!

the alt puts back more juice than any accs uses because of the efficiency of maybe 50%.
lots of losses in any electrical device, including the batt and alt.
an electric fan MIGHT save some energy at high speed when its completly off,but
consider this,at idle or low speed the mech fan moves enuf air to cool the motor. the electric fan in the same situation has to move the same amount. do you really think it can use less hp doing the exact same job.
if if could,allnew cars would have a small gas engine,a big alt and big batt.
just look at the roaring sucess the electrics are having!!
it aint happening soon.

u take 100 watts out you need to put back maybe 150.
you can calculate power used to charge any batt,like a phone,,,very inefficient,getting better,but not too quickly.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan