PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Electric Fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Default Electric Fan

I am thinking about installing an electric fan to replace factory radiator fan. Since I live in the Land of the Pharoah where temperatures can soar figured I could use all the cooling I can get and lessen strain/drag on the engine. Any brand recommended? Was thinking about a Zirgo.Thanks in advance

Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Default RE: Electric Fan

ORIGINAL: buzzwohl

I am thinking about installing an electric fan to replace factory radiator fan. Since I live in the Land of the Pharoah where temperatures can soar figured I could use all the cooling I can get and lessen strain/drag on the engine. Any brand recommended? Was thinking about a Zirgo.Thanks in advance
Wow..you didn't get much feedback on your question

I don't have an answer for you but that is a common practice for extra horsepower. I would do it if I knew more about it.

GM Racing-

"Powertrain
The racing H3's engine is based on the production 3.5-liter inline five-cylinder engine. Per the rules, Team HUMMER made minor internal changes while retaining the original cylinder block and head. A raised compression ratio boosts horsepower to 248 and torque to 238 lb.-ft. The compression change enables the engine to perform well on 100-octane racing fuel. Also, the engine-driven cooling fan was replaced with electric fans, freeing up some horsepower. The engine draws air through a stock air cleaner mounted in the cab and sends exhaust through a custom, low-restriction exhaust system.
The H3's factory-installed Hydra-Matic 4L60 four-speed automatic transmission is used, with only slight calibration adjustments. It sends torque to the stock transfer case and axles, which use the factory 4.56:1 gear ratios. The stock oil and transmission coolers are used, but an auxiliary trans cooler also is employed."

Old 08-30-2007, 07:51 AM

Here's a link at Summit Racing on dual electric fans. Costs are about $205

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 08-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Buzz: peruse these at Summit Racing (ebay), there is nothing wrong with your choice of Zirgo, but also consider flex-a-lite and perma-cool. I would go for a complete kit if possible. Were you going to try to mount it in the factory shroud? Take some careful measurements and research the overall dimensions of the fan of your choice, fit is important with an electric. Since you know it is a hot environment where you are, I would try to avoid thru the core mounts. Thru the core is easy, but less efficient? If you are going to remove the factory shroud, you could then do a double!

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Summit...360995QQsofpZ0

Summit ships worlwide!!

Vader, [sm=vader1.gif] you have beat me to the summit link [sm=vader.gif]

Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 AM

Hey Doc,
I'd love to see someone here do this and share it with the rest of us.
I've never did an electric fan conversion and know absolutely nothing.
Replacing the motor drivin fan also reduces engine noise!

Any volunteers??

Old 08-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

I never even thought about doing this. It's a good idea.

I would definitely do it. Hell, I was the second person on the forum to get the PCM upgrade, so I'm always up to try new things.

Where would you install the temperature switch though to turn the fan on and off?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 AM

You would remove the engine driven fan and these electric fans would do all the cooling. They would always be energized and regulated with a thermostat as I understand it.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Well guys, in a nutshell, you remove the clutch fan (and obviously bolt the fan pully back down w/o it). You can keep the shroud and mount as big a single as will fill up the space inide the rear edge of the shroud. Mounting can be done different ways, but checking out what is available for the easiest mount inside the shroud can save headaches down the road.

You can remove the shroud, and mount a bigger single, but a double would be better. Again, mounting can be easy/cheap with a through the core kit (these are like a zip strip you push thru the radiator and condenser and hold the fan mounting brackets up against the inside of the radiator separated by a fairly ridgid small foam pad....but you get what you pay for).

Now you need a wiring harnes, (I have used Painless b4 and all their products are indeed painless to use, site link: http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...SearchField=21/ pricing:http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku) with a relay, fuseable link, and a sending unit (screws into a blank in the engine if the I 5 has one??? most engines do, but I never looked 4 one on my 3) or electronically controlled T stat (that push in between the fins of the radiator near the coolant hose inlet and sense temp) controlling the on/off for the fan. If you have a double, they can operate together, or separately depending on your set up need (like one main cooler, and the second kicks in when the A/C is on or load is up).

I looked around a little, and our sister forum has good reading if you are interested. http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_564084/tm.htm Here this guy says his Haydens are loud, but he is cooling an 8, not a 5!

HummerGuy, this is more electrical than nuts and bolts, piece of cake for you bro. If you are serious, lay it all out with careful planing b4 you start and it could be a sweet set up, might need some tweeking, but then you are set. When you are done with all the hard work, the rest of us will have it easy

Oh yeah [sm=goodidea.gif] Buzz.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:45 PM

I will award the first to do this with a McD Happy Meal!!!

I would but this stuff is over my head! Candidates????

Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 PM

You could always hard wire the fan to a switched outlet, so they always run whenever the car is turned on.

That would greatly simplify the install without worrying about t-stats.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan