PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Question Electric fan

Hi, I値l try to make the story as short as I can and please excusemy English (not a native speaker).

I have a 2005 Hummer H2 SUT and I have made the electric fanconversion. The setup I have chosen is to let the ECU control both low and highfan speed and it is already programmed and working fine.

The fan Harness was made by me and it have three relays oneto trigger the low speed by connecting both fans on series, which lead to eachone of them has 6 V across and the other two relays one of them to disconnectthe series fans and to ground the driver side fan directly to have 12 V and theother is to trigger the passenger side fan with 12 V. the fans I have are OEMfans (driver side with 9 blades and passenger side with 7 blades) and an OEMshroud.

It has been three years since I have made the conversion andduring this period I have faced these problems in the low speed relay and thedriver side fan only:

First I had a burned relay so I thought it was normal and I changedit. Then the live wire going from the relay to driver side fan get burned, I alsothought it might be a bad wire so I changed the complete wire to a bigger one. Afterthat the driver side fan motor got burned and I also thought that it might bedue to the burning relay and wire and I changed it also. Now I have a burnedrelay again so I thought now I the time to change the complete harness to 6 mmwire and I have done it and purchased new relays, the thing that surprise me isafter completing the installation the fan motor got smoked again without anydamage to the harness or the relays.

Now defiantly there is a problem and am thinking about twothings:

1. When the vehicle speedexceed 60 mph and the temp rise the ECU trigger the fan in low speed, but theincoming air is faster which cause the fan to spin faster than it should anddrain more current (today I値l install a test lamp to see if the ECU triggerthe fan or not and if yes I値l figure a way to disable the ECU command if thespeed is more than 60 mph.

2. The driver side fan motorcan稚 handle the current drained from the 9 blades fan in low speed (nothing happenedto the other fan even though they are connected in series in low speed sinceday one of the installation) and in this case I値l change the harness configurationto be driver side only in full speed as (low speed) and driver + passenger sideas (high speed) or any other solution if you have for me.

Any ideas

By the way the average weather temp we have across the yearis 35c and above and sometimes in summer it goes up to 50c and this was themain reason for doing the conversion.

Akram