PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Default Electric fan

Has anyone thought of replacing thier stock fan with an electric one? It would free up some horsepower, even when it isn't engaged it still has drag on the system. I'm just curious what others think of the idea.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Default RE: Electric fan

Have not heard of anyone trying that yet. I would think it would work fine, and free up some hp. The only thing is if you need warranty work, I don't think the dealer warm up to the idea.[&:]

Old 10-19-2006, 10:57 PM
ZOO

I would like to install one on mine. However, I know the warrenty would not go with it.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:15 AM

Why would there be warranty issues? Unless the thing overheats because the fan doesn't come on, the only thing you are doing is removing the stock fan and shrowd. That shouldn't cause a warranty issue.

I did this on an old Scout I had. The problem there was the mounting system was a poor design and it tore up the radiator, but it freed up power, plus made the heater work better since the fan wasn't overcooling the coolant in the radiator between thermostat openings.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

Has anyone thought of replacing thier stock fan with an electric one? It would free up some horsepower, even when it isn't engaged it still has drag on the system. I'm just curious what others think of the idea.
Thats not a bad idea, but I'd probably do it more based off the fact that I hate how the fan on this truck is so damn loud and that it seems to run alot more and alot harder than it should (I sound like a damn Chinook helicopter trying to get out of the parking lot on cold starts!)

Old 10-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Where would you put the temp sensor, and where would you get the power from? Is there a kit for this? I likey!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:40 PM
ZOO

Who wants to be the first to modify their rig?

Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 PM

The one I put on my Scout had a probe that went through the radiator between the tubes. You put it close to the inlet side of the radiator. It came with all of the wiring, and all you had to do was hook it to the battery. If you wanted, you could also hook it to a switch on the dash so you could manually turn it on before the engine heats up if you think it might, such as climbing a hill with a trailer. The biggest problem was a poor system of mounting the fan to the radiator which caused the radiator to develope small pin hole leaks. If I can find one with a better mounting system, I am totally game for doing it again.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

The one I put on my Scout had a probe that went through the radiator between the tubes. You put it close to the inlet side of the radiator. It came with all of the wiring, and all you had to do was hook it to the battery. If you wanted, you could also hook it to a switch on the dash so you could manually turn it on before the engine heats up if you think it might, such as climbing a hill with a trailer. The biggest problem was a poor system of mounting the fan to the radiator which caused the radiator to develope small pin hole leaks. If I can find one with a better mounting system, I am totally game for doing it again.
I'm definitely up for it.