PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Driving H1 Coast-to-Coast (WA-NH)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Smile Driving H1 Coast-to-Coast (WA-NH)

I'm new to this forum but am picking up my first H1 Hummer (a 1995 Wagon) this weekend in Washington and though it would probably be smart to just hire some trucker to trailer it home my wife and I are flying out and driving it home. There are a few different routes back to NH so we are still trying to figure out which way to go and where to stop along the way, etc. but are having fun planning it out. We'll have to average around 600 miles/day, but left some room in for stops and site seeing. It should be fun.

My question is, are there any maintenance checks I should do along the way or tools I should bring? It has the 6.5L motor and seems to be running fine, but the trip is 3200 miles and I'm new to the vehicle so want to make sure I pay attention to anything that might need addressing or monitoring.

If I see any other Hummers out on the road while we are heading east I'll be sure to wave (or is that just a Jeep thing?)

Thanks!
Matt

Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 PM

Dude--3200 miles in a new untested truck is ballsy. I'd do it in a heartbeat!
I'm hoping you've got complete confidence in the seller and the maintenance he's done?
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime, enjoy!

BTW--haven't got a clue what parts/tools you'll want, but my luck always has it that it's the stuff I didn't bring that I really need!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks, most of my friends think we are crazy for wanting to drive it home but we think it will be a fun way to bond with our first Hummer, for better or worse. The truck has been well maintained over the years but we understand it is a long distance and the truck is not new. I'll probably just bring a few basic hand tools, check my fluids periodically, and hope for the best. If needed, we do have AAA. We had thought about sleeping in the truck, but with the four spare tires that might be a pain moving them around and we weren't sure the roof rack could support their weight so it looks like we will be hunting for Motel 6's along the route...

Looks like one route would take us by Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore, so that could be fun. Another goes through Southern Wyoming and through Nebraska. We still aren't sure yet which route would be easiest for the Hummer, they all are about the same mileage.

Matt

Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 AM

We are also doing an informal poll to see if Seattle counts as part of the West Coast...so can call it a true coast-to-coast journey. If not, we may drive west to start off so we can at least get to Aberdeen WA to start. It would be easier though to start our trip heading in the right direction (East).

Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 AM

I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near Seattle, everything I've heard has it pegged as one of the greenest places in the States. Bringing an H1 thru there could be the equivalent of walking in the tigers cage with a steak tied around your neck! Seems the tree huggers aren't afraid of doing whatever damage they can when given a chance.
Southern Wyoming--flat, long and boring!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Yeah take the north route and visit the big horn mountains, badlands and Mt rushmore.
After that it is boring driving for a while

Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by twinmill28
I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near Seattle, everything I've heard has it pegged as one of the greenest places in the States. Bringing an H1 thru there could be the equivalent of walking in the tigers cage with a steak tied around your neck! Seems the tree huggers aren't afraid of doing whatever damage they can when given a chance.
Southern Wyoming--flat, long and boring!
The guy we bought the H1 from lives near Seattle and said people there sometimes flip him off. He did say though that he often gets thumbs up too while driving.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 AM

Well we picked up the H1 today, drove it to the ocean ( right on the beach at Ocean Shores WA). We then visited Seattle and now are near Spokane. Hope to visit Yellowstone Sunday. Truck seems to be doing well, have had quite a few thumbs up from people.

Any tips on saving fuel? We are averaging about 12mpg. Is that normal? My tires are at around 44psi.

Having fun heading East(my wife likes driving it too!)

Thanks

Old 04-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Now we are in Montana. The truck has climbed quite a few mountains on Rt90, each time it climbs a mountain there is sometimes a little black in the exhaust but only when I have the throttle way down and am climbing steep hills.

Last edited by micromachine; 05-07-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM

I'm going to recommend that you get over on the hummernetworkforums.com for more answers to H1 specific stuff.

Is this a TD or just a 6.5? I did 1100 miles on mine when I bought it driving it home from Florida. Watch your temps the gauges are wildly inaccurate. its balsy for sure to do that long a trip without knowing the maintenance on the truck...Good luck.

As for the smoke we don't know if there are any upgrades to the truck...you really don't want to be cruising at more than about 60-65 mph or you run the risk of frying your transfer case not to mention its really hard to get these behemoths up that fast. Most of the people that are in the hills say they go around 50-55

and Yes 12mpg is the best your going to get unless you get a good tailwind.

Good Luck and have fun

Quick Reply: Driving H1 Coast-to-Coast (WA-NH)