PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Driver side water leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Default Driver side water leak?

Just wondering if anyone has had an issue regarding this. My left side carpet gets soaked at times. I've checked the sun roof drains and the a/c drain also. Next step is to R&R the carpet and water test the vehicle. Just thought I'd put it out there. Thanks in advance

Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Check the roof marker lights - had the same issue on my 2003 H2 - carpets soaked on both sides after rain (or carwash). I took them off and siliconed around the holes and its been fine since.

Britpara

Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 AM

My car sometimes smells bad after a rain, I am assuming i have a water leak, but i have never found anything wet inside. It could be the lights on top. If i put silicone around them, will i be able to replace the bulbs later?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 AM

I'm going to R&R the carpet at the shop this week and water test the vehicle. this way I can kill any mold that maybe an issue. I've shecked the sun roof drains like I said and they appear to be ok. However there is a factory bullentin on them. Once I get the carpet out I should be able to trace the leak. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:45 AM

I think i found my leak. I believe it to be coming around the passenger side rear marker light. It looks like maybe the foam underneath the light is pretty compressed and may be allowing water to leak down it. Has anyone else had theirs leak there? And if so, how did you fix it?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 AM

Rotten sometimes you can pressurize the vehicle by shutting the doors with the blower on high. The you take some soapy water, maybe some dish soap and put it around the marker light and watch for bubbles. Another thing to do is wet the plam of your hand and feel for the draft. Other than that it's R&R the seats, pull back the carpeting and make a stand and have your hose sprinkle on the side of the leak. Check on it ever 10 mon or so and see if you can verify where it's coming. Very first thing you do is to run your a/c and verify the waters coming out at a good rate and also open your sun roof and have someone poor water into the pan around the roof and make sure you see it running out under the car as quick as you pour it in. Hope that helps.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 PM

I just went through the whole nut-roll of name-that-waterleak in my 2005 H2. Every time it rained or was muggy out, I noticed a bunch of water on the driver side floor. I thought it must be the sunroof or marker lights since it was on the driver side floor. I checked the sunroof drains and checked and sealed all the marker lights, but the water continued to poor in. I noticed that the leak was coming down the front part of the center console so I thought it might be the windshield so I had that replaced but the water still kept pooling on the driver side floor. I had checked the air conditioning drain a couple of times but I couldn't find anything blocking the tube that comes out from the firewall. I was pretty sure the truck was sealed-up pretty tight so I figured it had to be the air conditioning drain. I hooked up the shop-vac to the drain tube and a bunch of leaves and other crap came out, along with about a half gallon of water! Since I now knew what the real problem was, I pulled the cover off the the HVAC assembly under the dash on the passenger side and noticed that the cover was actually re-directing all the water from the passenger side to the driver side floor. Plus, all the components were soaked and now my "service air bag" light is on. I also had to overhaul the fan blower motor (I'll post this adventure later). So.... Check your condensation drain!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Nice first post, 1151Gunner.

Pics would be great, too.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 PM

My 09 H2 had a leak. The drivers front floor carpet was soaked and mushy. I popped the sill plate and found the Channel with the large wireing harness filled with water..!!! Took it to the dealer and he set up that rig that GM uses to find leakes.

Turns out it was the big Round Rubber Gromment that the Door wiring passes thru on the "A" piller. It had come lose and water from the roof that runs down inside the jam was getting in to the wireing channel and floor.

He sealed it up wth RTV and since the carpet was rubber backed all they had to do was Vacuum the water off the carpet and replace the matting undernieth. The carpet dried out fine and was undamaged.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Default Solved..

Originally Posted by bigdoghd
Just wondering if anyone has had an issue regarding this. My left side carpet gets soaked at times. I've checked the sun roof drains and the a/c drain also. Next step is to R&R the carpet and water test the vehicle. Just thought I'd put it out there. Thanks in advance
I think this is the location of the sunroof drain (stupid engineers), as you can see the hose is suppose to go thru a hole in the floor-pan. The tubing may of pulled loose when they installed a remote start in that area. The tube is not very well routed or secured.

Attached Thumbnails Driver side water leak?-2014-05-01-hummer-002.jpg   Driver side water leak?-2014-05-01-hummer-003.jpg