PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Door handle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 01:19 AM
Default Door handle replacement

Few questions for those of you who have replaced their door handles.

I finally took the plunge and pulled my driver door panel off, the insulation, and finally got out the stock door bucket and handle-that was fun....

Looking over the hardware on the stock bucket to transfer it all over to the billet bucket, I see the stock handle has a rod which is flared at the end to hold the pivot side of the handle to the bucket. Almost looks like a big rivet.

How does one remove the stock handle to move that handle and all the hardware over to the billet buckets?

I'm thinking about just ordering new buckets and pulls from Hummer Parts Club in black so they both match and not worry about moving the stock handle over. Although that takes a project which I have everything and quadruples the cost.

ALSO, anyone running billet handles in a hot state? I'm curious how hot the billet handles are for a state like AZ. I don't want to fry my hand every time I touch the handles.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-25-2016, 10:54 PM

Dremel the flare off and drive the rivet out?

Old 06-26-2016, 03:49 AM

New pulls come with new pins as well. If you drill the end of the rivet off there would be nothing to hold the pin in place when reinstalling in the new buckets. I've looked everywhere for pins but they're not out there. The whole stock bucket/handle assembly is only around $16 so I seriously doubt you can buy just a new pin.

I'm working on buying some new pulls and go from there. While I have the door panels off I'm also replacing all the door speakers with JBL GX series speakers. They sound amazing compared to the paper Bose. Just waiting for the rear speakers and harnesses to come in.