PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Does your pride in ownership change with Hummer becoming a Chineese company?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 AM

I am partly bothered by this, seeing that I am used to Hummer being an American car and took great pride in that. I'd be more comfortable with Hummer headed to India than China.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kawboy40
You are over looking the major fact that the Germans are not commies. Also Germany and Italy are our allies. IMO the same will never be said of Red China. This past spring I was in the market for a new vehicle. The top of my list was the Hummer H3 Alpha, with the Adventure package. Well the rumors of the sale of Hummer to Communist China was my #1 reason for passing on the H3. The #2 reason was that the nearest dealership is 2 hours away, and GM won't allow other much closer GM dealerships perform warranty work when needed.
I'm not over looking anything. You, however, are overlooking the OP's statement and my response to it and injecting your own agenda which is confusing you. Simple statement, simple response, no political agenda.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by BajaH3T
I'm not over looking anything. You, however, are overlooking the OP's statement and my response to it and injecting your own agenda which is confusing you. Simple statement, simple response, no political agenda.

I didn't overlook Powerubi Wacon's original post, or your respose, or his responce back to your's where he said that he knew about Daimler/Chrysler. I wasn't confused, nor was it my intent to offend you. While I wouldn't call your post a excellent opportunity for segway, I used it as one when considering PW's reply.

My own (political) agenda? While I maybe less then 40 y/o I'm still old enough to have served in our nation's armed forces when there was still such a thing as a Cold War. My father was on his 2nd tour in Vietnam when I was born, so I guess you could say I'm a child of the Cold War. Growing up I always looked at our nation's confrontation of communism, on all fronts, as a highly honorable act. Needless to say these last 10 years or so have pained me greatly. I hate watching our nation's corporations (and our complicit government) sell out to the Communist Chinese just to profit a few dollars more.

Now we have to watch Communist China build themselves into the next superpower with all those dollars we've spent buying their junk at our local Walmart. Well I decided long ago that I'm going to send as little of my money their way as possible. Simple as that, with no political agenda inferred.

BTW Baja, that's a nice list of vehicles you have there in your signature.

Last edited by Kawboy40; 06-08-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM

I didn't overlook Powerubi Wacon's original post, or your respose, or his responce back to your's where he said that he knew about Daimler/Chrysler. I wasn't confused, nor was it my intent to offend you. While I wouldn't call your post a excellent opportunity for segway, I used it as one when considering PW's reply.

My own (political) agenda? While I maybe less then 40 y/o I'm still old enough to have served in our nation's armed forces when there was still such a thing as a Cold War. My father was on his 2nd tour in Vietnam when I was born, so I guess you could say I'm a child of the Cold War. Growing up I always looked at our nation's confrontation of communism, on all fronts, as a highly honorable act. Needless to say these last 10 years or so have pained me greatly. I hate watching our nation's corporations (and our complicit government) sell out to the Communist Chinese just to profit a few dollars more.

Now we have to watch Communist China build themselves into the next superpower with all those dollars we've spent buying their junk at our local Walmart. Well I decided long ago that I'm going to send as little of my money their way as possible. Simple as that, with no political agenda inferred.

Just to clarify

The OP said:

I own two (owned three total) Jeeps and would be really, really, really ticked off if Chrysler sold Jeep to any non-American company! I am not sure if I would hold onto my Jeeps as a couple of the last American Jeeps or if I would sell them off as I would not want to associate with the brand anymore?

...and I said:

Hate to break the bad news to you, but your '03 Rubi was built by Daimler Chrysler, German owned company.

No reference to communism, nor China.

That said, thank you to you and your father for your service to our country. I, for one, greatly appreciate it!! I wouldn't worry about China. If they keep loaning us money, they'll be as broke as we are shortly (that's a joke). Thanks for the compliment on the vehicles. I've been told it's an illness as that's just a list of the 4WDs.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:52 AM

I feel the same way. I always look for Made In USA/America when I buy something. If it says that and it is what I am looking for I do not look at the price. If I can not find what I am looking for that is Made In USA/America; then I look for Made In anywhere in North/Central/South America, or European countries. I avoid at all costs Made In China or any other Asian country. I refuse to help Asia get more wealthy and America get poorer!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Bottom line for me, i would still buy another H3 today wether it was backed by American or Chinese money. Its still going to be built by americans in shreverport La. and serviced by americans. Who cares who owns it, GM gave up on the badge.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Not estatic that the commies might get Hummer, the deal may not go through. However I am on my second H3 and in a few years I'll be looking for my third H3 no matter who owns the purse strings. Quality built in USA

Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Unhappy Death Nail to another great American Vehicle

The selling of Hummer to a China based company does not change my pride in ownership, it will change my ownership status. It also spells the end of Hummer as a great brand.

Values are and will continue to plummet as a result (Just like Oldsmobile). Imagine what it will be like to try to get a part? (those specific to a hummer). I think the word has settled with the american public as well, my local Hummer dealer is well stocked and is moving nothing.

Sadly, I plan to sell mine while its still worth something, unfortunately, nothing close to what I paid for it and the warranty will soon be history (due to expire). For those who think they will go up in value think again. Tons of Hummers were made and they already have to many strikes against them, IE Fuel economy, Public Opinion, Size, cost to insure,,, on and on. Once the deal goes through I have no doubt many of the parts for the vehicle will soon be provided by China factories, it only makes sense.

And finially, China builds crap, just look at the 3.4 liter engine GM subed out to China, their failure rate is 10 to 1 of its Canadian build counterpart plus the China variant is noisy because of the excessive clearances. Could you imagine a complete Hummer built their?

It's a shame GM could not have come up with a better plan, perhaps make a deal with AM General, allow them to supply Hummer specific parts, discontinue Hummer production and be done with it. Instead the brand and it reputation will be distroyed once China picks it up. This remind me of Budweiser (only much worse), the great American beer now owned by the European company InBev. Another great American brand now Non-American.

Last edited by Terminator; 06-09-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM

The Chinese have a reputation for lowering prices by cutting corners and making things on the cheap. The fit and finish of my H3 is already poor. It is in constant need of service (engine and accessories). The local Hummer service department is grossly incompetent. Its hard to take pride in vehicle under these circumstances or to imagine what the brand will be like under Chinese direction. I will ride this vehicle out, but will not consider another. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy driving my H3, its fun, when its actually working.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 PM

It ain't sold yet! The heavy equip co. has to get the o.k. from the Gov't (China) to do it. Maybe if it goes through, they can pump some $$ into it. Hummer will stay "made in America" that's a stipulation in the deal. To protect jobs here. They can't take the Mil. contract out of the U.S..

Quick Reply: Does your pride in ownership change with Hummer becoming a Chineese company?