PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Does the Mass Airflow Sensor have a programmed life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Default Does the Mass Airflow Sensor have a programmed life?

Minor idle issue. Slight dip in RPM intermittently at stops. Then it settles at about 650. Sometimes followed by momentary dips to 500 rpm and quickly back to 650. Also with occasional jump to 1000 rpm. Had cel reading mass air flow issue. Cleared and drove 75 miles without coming back.

Cleaned throttle body and mas air flow 2 months ago per our forums instructions. At the time it was doing the textbook, dip and recovery at stops with cel. Outcome at that time was great. Truck ran much better.

I haven't been in mud or dirt since that time. Haven't exposed truck to any conditions that would cause filth to build.

Could the sensor be wearing out? Mechanic told me they have a 10 year life. Could this be something programmed in to force you to replace it? Do I need a tinfoil hat? Should I just clean it again? Help Doc Olds.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Clean it again while wearing your tin foil hat!

They last as long as they last, there is no programmed in self destruct code. Since it is a man made electronic part, a brand new one might last minutes, or 30 years, they just go until it can no longer accurately detect inlet air temps. I suppose a repeatedly dirty one might not go as long as one they stays cleaner over time, but I would still ascribe to what my Grand Dad used to say: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If your CEL comes back and/or your idle remains erratic with no other causes, then think about a new one.