PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

do you think the I 5 is underpowered for the h3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 PM
RMD
Default RE: do you think the I 5 is underpowered for the h3?

It is very underpowered compared to my C5, but I did not buy it for the same reason. When I get off road, I find it has plenty of power. I go fast in the C5. I tow my trailers with the diesel Ford SuperDuty. I have fun in the H3 at a much slower pace! And man does this thing turn on a dime!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 PM

I would just like to point out that the I 5 has more H.P. then the big block 454 SSChevy trucks of the early 90's. I do however wish they had put the 300 horse I 6 in instead.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: duckstu

I have the 2006 with the 3.5 and I don't feel it's underpowered,.. and my daily driver sedan does 0-60 mph in about 3.2 seconds.

I'm sure the 3.7 is plenty. Haven't driven one though.

I do feel it could handle better. A bigger rear sway bar does wonders.
damn wonder what you drive!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:11 AM

I must sayshe [TheI-5] is a bit of a screamer when you really ride her hard,But that's the way I like it!

Seriously though I must say that once you spend more and more time behind the wheel you learn how to get the " Most" out of her! I cruise at 140km/h quite easly without to much trouble.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 AM

It's not just the power but how it's accessible. The upgrades to intake, exhaust and most importantly pcm tune help out a lot. I was frustrated a bit when I first got my 3.7 H3 with the highway passing - the shift points were all wrong and it wasn't fun to drive. With the upgrades the H3 is a lot more fun and the power is more accessible. If you don't like the I5 power and you have done these upgrades check out the million or so threads on pcm and pmcforless.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:30 PM

that all depends on what you call under powered out here the I 5 has 10 less kw than the v8 landcrusier which is suposse to be the be all and end all 4x4. this car weighs in at almost 3 tonnes.
you just learn how to drive it as you do with all cars to optimise the performace. after market performance inhancing drugs help alot

Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 PM

I traded my Silverado with a 5.3 in for my Tactical knowing what the difference is since we had an 06 H3 3.5. It just really isn't that much different. Sure, I can't "roast" the tires, but I didn't buy it for that.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 PM

I think the power under the hood isn't the problem. It's more the fact that I can't get the sound I want from putting in something like an exhaust/CAI combo.

It will sound too much like some*fast and furious car*with a rubber band engine.

Love the power, hate the sound.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:09 PM

I also hate the hummer haters a guy came up to me and told me all the h3 was was a glorified blazer. And that it isnt a real hummer. He also said that hummers arent meant for off road he said they are there for luxury. I do not know where people get these misconceptions.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:08 PM

I have the 3.5L I5, it works just fine for me. It's a good compromise for fuel economy and overall truck performance.If anything, maybe another 1000 lbs tow rating would be anice to have.

On the other hand, those that I know who always drive foot to the floor and must leave the pack behind at every traffic light won't be happy with it.

In my opinion, the only problem with the I5 is that it was the only engine available at launch. If there was a V8 from the start too, no one would even be bringing up this discussion.

Quick Reply: do you think the I 5 is underpowered for the h3?