PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

DO NOT RECOMMEND SHORTY ANTENNA FROM EBAY

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Default DO NOT RECOMMEND SHORTY ANTENNA FROM EBAY

I know that automatic car washes aren't great for any vehicle, but here in Indiana, it's simply too cold to hand wash and the "spray it yourself" carwash doesn't always get the grime off. So, occasionally I run my H3 through one of the expensive soft cloth style washes. (Not the whipping plastic bristle type you find at gas stations...those things are like cheap extention cords beating on your paint!)

Anyway, the first time through the wash with my new Antenna-X branded antenna from ebay that's 13" tall.....and I get home and notice it's GONE! Snapped off right at the base of it. One damn wash! Maybe I should have taken it off and I think it says so on the ebay auction.....however, if the stock antenna being ten times as long never breaks off, then this one shouldn't have either. In addition, I could tell that the reception wasn't as good and from time to time radio stations would cut out. I was willing to deal with that though and chalked it up to the price you pay to have a shorty antenna.

Anyway, just stating my experience and opinon regarding the $20.00 piece of crap I bought. So, think twice about buying this brand if you ever have to visit automatic washes.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Default RE: DO NOT RECOMMEND SHORTY ANTENNA FROM EBAY

ORIGINAL: WOLFGANGSTA

I know that automatic car washes aren't great for any vehicle, but here in Indiana, it's simply too cold to hand wash and the "spray it yourself" carwash doesn't always get the grime off. So, occasionally I run my H3 through one of the expensive soft cloth style washes. (Not the whipping plastic bristle type you find at gas stations...those things are like cheap extention cords beating on your paint!)

Anyway, the first time through the wash with my new Antenna-X branded antenna from ebay that's 13" tall.....and I get home and notice it's GONE! Snapped off right at the base of it. One damn wash! Maybe I should have taken it off and I think it says so on the ebay auction.....however, if the stock antenna being ten times as long never breaks off, then this one shouldn't have either. In addition, I could tell that the reception wasn't as good and from time to time radio stations would cut out. I was willing to deal with that though and chalked it up to the price you pay to have a shorty antenna.

Anyway, just stating my experience and opinon regarding the $20.00 piece of crap I bought. So, think twice about buying this brand if you ever have to visit automatic washes.
The antena-x one looks OK, but to try and make it more universal, it mounts on to a plastic adapter base, allowing it to fit a wide variety of vehicles. Problem is, plastic does not have enough strength to withstand any amount of force, and car wash will spell doom. I have the same one, and will probably end up getting one like Dennis has, as t appears to be all steel, down to the bolt.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:55 PM

Yes it is, it's all stainless with a machinedaluminium base and steel threaded adapter..very strong..I fear it will rip the side off the car before the antenna snaps off.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Let's hope you never find that out!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 11:01 PM

Wow thats scary! I was ready to buy the one you are talking about on Ebay. I do go through those washes myself. Thanks for the heads up!!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 AM

Took the hacksaw to my stock antennathis lastweekend. Cut it at midpointand put a protective tip on the end. I can't tell any difference inreception of my local channels. Am real happy with the free mod.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 AM

Free is good.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:50 AM

I've been running with no antenna for a few months now and can't tell a bit of difference.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:47 AM

You always get what you paid for! My Mama said!!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Circuitguy

You always get what you paid for! My Mama said!!
That was before ebay!

Quick Reply: DO NOT RECOMMEND SHORTY ANTENNA FROM EBAY