PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

do i really need adventure package?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Default RE: do i really need adventure package?

lmao...was only kidding with ya Dennis

this comment is meant in general, not at any one post here:
I think the main problem is that an uninformed buyer may think that a base is not capable of serious off-roading....that assumption is completely FALSE!! A Base H3 with new tires is still more capable off road than any other stock vehicle you can buy, except maybe a Rubicon Wrangler. The locking rear diff on the adventure is a great thing, but having your rear locked while off-roading can actually get you in trouble in certain situations....it's not a save all for everything you encounter off-road.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:53 AM

I know you were kidding bro....And the points you make are quite valid!

Old 11-04-2006, 12:24 PM

I went with the adv. pkg and just last night I had a chance to finally use all those parts in my friends mud pit/MX track. I can tell you that if you hit a part of a trail that is tricky, you'll wish you had it. I was climbing up a little step up and with the locking diff off, it couldnt do it because the ground was frozen and it just spun the tires and sat there. Here is where the key factor came in...my buddies gave me the "ooohhhh the big bad hummer cant make it." then with the push of a few buttons, it was up that step up practically while idling. That moment right there was well worth it to me. And now that I had a chance to see where the extra equipment pays off, it feels like the capabilities are where it should be and now I am just limited by clearance and not by where I can get enough traction to the right wheels.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:05 PM

B.G.M. would have done the same thing

Old 11-04-2006, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

B.G.M. would have done the same thing
Whats BGM?

Old 11-04-2006, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider

I went with the adv. pkg and just last night I had a chance to finally use all those parts in my friends mud pit/MX track. I can tell you that if you hit a part of a trail that is tricky, you'll wish you had it. I was climbing up a little step up and with the locking diff off, it couldnt do it because the ground was frozen and it just spun the tires and sat there. Here is where the key factor came in...my buddies gave me the "ooohhhh the big bad hummer cant make it." then with the push of a few buttons, it was up that step up practically while idling. That moment right there was well worth it to me. And now that I had a chance to see where the extra equipment pays off, it feels like the capabilities are where it should be and now I am just limited by clearance and not by where I can get enough traction to the right wheels.
I'm just curious. Could you have applied the brakes slightly and gas at the same time to transfer some torque from the wheels that were slipping to the other wheels since we have open differentials?

Old 11-04-2006, 08:08 PM

chevy described BGM, goes by many names but is basically Brake + Gas Management. Tricky to master but once you do you will hardly have a need for the locking rear diff. Now it is harder to do with anti lock brakes but it is possible!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:55 AM

oohh..You might have been able to bounce it up doing that but seeing how once it was up, the rear wheel was totally off the ground, I dunno...i suppose anything is possible if you can drive it right though.
If you are just driving one front wheel up an obstacle though, would the brake bias negate your M by B-ing and G-ing? Seems like it would work to give it a quick jolt of traction but if you kept the brakes on, it would make it harder for that wheel to climb?
I dunno..I guess another advantage of a locking diff is you dont have to think about what will happen in theoretical situations like that.