PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Do 35's "really" fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by oruna1
Alpha's have 4.10 gears and the 5 cyl's have 4.56 gears auto or manual.
really? So my H3 06 5 cyl's auto have 4.56, where could I see it?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 AM

this thread interests me... I don't really want to lift my H3 (insurance company has serious issue with this), but I could get away with stuffing some larger tires on there.

I don't mind a slight rub on the fender liner, I'm more concerned about breaking something because of the extra size.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:29 AM

To answer that question , when Iam off road in 4 low, locked and really twisting the frame I get no rubbing with my 315's. maybe it is the brand (?)tire which are BFG MT's on stock rims? I only use my H3 off road ( and Z06 on road- I think I have world's slowest and fastest vehicles) and go places I would not want to walk over but I do not drive like a mad man because I not only do not want to break anything but more importantly I do not want to be stranded in the type of remote places I go.
I was recently, 2 weeks ago, driving down a remote trail when I came to a boulder field with a river beyond it. I thought at first there was no way I could get across it but I got out of the H3 and walked a path through the boulders (average size about 1 to 1 1/2 feet tall- many were some were larger) where I thought I could make it without any rocks hitting the axles, etc. I went slow in 4 low locked and made it across just fine. I did not hear one grating sound and no rubbing. Tire pressure was 33psi for ground clearance and so I do not pop a tire off the bead. It is tricky plotting a course on this type of "surface" but maybe years of off roading helped? I started with International Scouts, moved to FJ40, CJ's, Pathfinders and the H3 is by far the best off roader i have owned. I still can not believe they are not going to make the best off roader out there. Those of you who are owners, take my word for it, after driving every off roader including even the vaulted Land Rover you owners have the best! I used to live in a very remote wilderness area for 13 years and had a 15 mile "drive way" that if I took a photo of it you would ask where is the road. Had to ford a river in 3 places and once had the CJ7 V8 being moved side ways due to not reading the river and really wanting to get home to our cabin at 1 AM.
I would replace the shock mounts on the Scout every 3 months and eventually cracked the frame on it. The FJ40 held up the best but I now wish they had made a H3 back then.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 AM

PS to Autumn Walker - I do think that because of the extra weight of the 315's that you do have to be extra careful about not breaking an axle, etc but I do not think it is an issue if you do not drive like you rented it.
My brother came up to northern AZ for a visit and rented a red H3 and took out extra insurance in case he scratched it. He drove it like he rented it and like he paid extra for the insurance. We went down trails that were 3 feet wide and it was better than any paint remover out there. I am amazed he was not held accountable for the damage!!! He also drove it like I do not think the H3 would hold up if it had the 315's on it. He was jumping hills but this H3 had the 265's on and they will not strain the suspension like the 315's.
I really like the fact that just by going to the 315's over his 265's I get 2 full inches of ground clearance besides the great traction and looks. Just know that IMO you can not drive it the same as if it had the 265's. My 2006 H3 just turned 10,000 miles most of which are rough off roads.I took the 285's off the day I got it and know i did the right thing. (anyone want to buy 5 new 285's with wheels?)
If anyone knows how to post a photo I could e-mail a photo to you to post?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 AM

Great info skeeet, thanks!

What about the speedometer and odometer? Can the dealership recalibrate these to account for the extra 2-3" of tire? I would not want to be putting a lot of "extra", fake kms on my rig if I don't have to.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 AM

Autumn most dealers can recalibrate your speedo but usually will not. The only way to really do it is to get a pcm tune... you wouldnt be adding alot of fake mileage rather, you would be missing it... the speedo will be off about 5mph and 10% as far as mpgs or kpgs...

So think of it as "extending" your warranty if you dont get the speedo recalibrated...

Skeet I would love to see pics of your outtings, and especially of your old house!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by skeeet
PS to Autumn Walker - I do think that because of the extra weight of the 315's that you do have to be extra careful about not breaking an axle, etc but I do not think it is an issue if you do not drive like you rented it.
My brother came up to northern AZ for a visit and rented a red H3 and took out extra insurance in case he scratched it. He drove it like he rented it and like he paid extra for the insurance. We went down trails that were 3 feet wide and it was better than any paint remover out there. I am amazed he was not held accountable for the damage!!! He also drove it like I do not think the H3 would hold up if it had the 315's on it. He was jumping hills but this H3 had the 265's on and they will not strain the suspension like the 315's.
I really like the fact that just by going to the 315's over his 265's I get 2 full inches of ground clearance besides the great traction and looks. Just know that IMO you can not drive it the same as if it had the 265's. My 2006 H3 just turned 10,000 miles most of which are rough off roads.I took the 285's off the day I got it and know i did the right thing. (anyone want to buy 5 new 285's with wheels?)
If anyone knows how to post a photo I could e-mail a photo to you to post?
Thank you, skeet, great info.
What is the max. speed with the 315's when you are in road? And do you know if my H3 2006 l5 auto adventure package has 4.56 gears?

Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by pambolero
Thank you, skeet, great info.
What is the max. speed with the 315's when you are in road? And do you know if my H3 2006 l5 auto adventure package has 4.56 gears?
I think all of the I5's have the 4.56 gears. Isn't it the Alpha's, with the V8's, that have the higher ratio?