PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Difficult to install a Brush Guard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Default Difficult to install a Brush Guard?

How difficult is it to install a factory brush guard? Seems like it bolts to the tow hook area... does is use the same bolts etc... any instructions anywhere?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by psych0
How difficult is it to install a factory brush guard? Seems like it bolts to the tow hook area... does is use the same bolts etc... any instructions anywhere?
You answered your own question

Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Almost! But... do you take out the 2 tow hook bolts on each side and reuse them... do they bolt into the frame or are there nuts underneath where I'll need to pull the skid plate and get at.... etc...

Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Talking

i have a 06 and all u need to do is take the bolt out that holds the recovery loop on and then there are 2 bolts that connect to the h3 and all u have to do is loosen enough till there is room to set the guard in place and then re tighten those bolts and then put the recovery loop back and slide the bolt through and tighten and your done. its so easy that my 2 year old daughter can do it if she had the strength

Attached Thumbnails Difficult to install a Brush Guard?-dscf0451.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 PM

There may also be some pesky Torx (not Hex) screws holding the recovery loop bracket in place, 1 each in the middle of the bracket.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by lucky19942001
i have a 06 and all u need to do is take the bolt out that holds the recovery loop on and then there are 2 bolts that connect to the h3 and all u have to do is loosen enough till there is room to set the guard in place and then re tighten those bolts and then put the recovery loop back and slide the bolt through and tighten and your done. its so easy that my 2 year old daughter can do it if she had the strength
Do you need to take the 2 bolts that connect to the frame all the way out? I assume you do since you probably have to take the plate off... install a rubber gasket and the brush guard then put it all back together...

Old 04-19-2009, 10:33 PM

Do you need to take the 2 bolts that connect to the frame all the way out? I assume you do since you probably have to take the plate off... install a rubber gasket and the brush guard then put it all back together...
Yes you take that whole assembly off. I can't remember if there is a gasket in there or not, could be. I remember the biggest problem I had was getting those damn hex screws back in...otherwise it is pretty straightforward...pull the tow hooks off, then the brackets, hold guard in place, but bracket over the top of the guard, then put the hooks back on. Simple as that.

also a tip, the factory did a good job tightening some of those bolts, so they take a little elbow grease to get off .

Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 AM

Do the 2 bolts go directly into the frame behind the bumper? I assume there aren't nuts behind there...

Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Do the 2 bolts go directly into the frame behind the bumper? I assume there aren't nuts behind there...

No nuts. You just pull the bolts out that go into the frame.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:32 PM

what year u guys have cause i just need to undo the 2 bolts just enough and it can set in and then just tighten again, i have a 06 so i gave u info on what i have and not sure if the others are the same

Quick Reply: Difficult to install a Brush Guard?