PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Diesel H3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Default Diesel H3

OK - GM has made it official now - they will be making an H3 with a 3L diesel engine - in South Africa.

The problem is I live in Canada. I am holding out for the diesel H3 which is rumoured to be out for the 2008 model year. Mostly I am after the low end torque that comes with a diesel engine. I've done quite a bit of back-road and off-road driving over the years and find the current crop of short stroke gasoline engines that make all of their power over 4000 rpm rather frustrating to drive offroad.

After owning a diesel Jetta for the past year I've also grown rather partial to the increased fuel milage. My Jetta gets 50-60 miles/canadian gallon (42-50 miles/us gallon). Clearly a diesel H3 isn't going to get this kind of milage, but I would expect it to be a 20-30% improvement over a gasoline engine.

Has anyone heard anything more about the future of a diesel engine in the H3?

I sure hope that GM clues in to the fact that not everyone in North America just want to go to the mall with their gas engined, automatic transmission SUV's!!

Old 10-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Default RE: Diesel H3

Read somewhere there they're making a right side drive w/ a diesel motor that was used in the euro Isuzu PU's for 2008... Supposed to be a European release model.. Prolly the same one they've got lined up for South Africa..

Old 10-29-2006, 11:00 PM

We leased a 2006 H3 for 2 years last month hoping that when our lease comes due at the end of 2008 they will have a diesel in this vehicle. We love the vehicle but it needs more power and a bigger engine means less fuel economy. So a diesel will be perfect for this vehicle not only off road but should increase fuel economy 25% or more. With all the new hybrids, fuel cell vehicles coming out in the next 2 years the only way I see these big SUV's staying around is by increasing their fuel mileage which means a diesel engine.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:31 AM

I think it is in effect now or soon will be..The Low sulfur diesel fuel at the pumps..this has been the hold up for US diesel production..Now that we have the low sulfur, we'll be seeing a lot more import diesel cars too.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:51 PM

You mean Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel. It has a maximum of 15PPM sulpher content at the pump. We have had low sulpher (500PPM) diesel for about 20 years now. Regular diesel (5000PPM) has been an offroad/heating oil fuel since the introduction of low sulpher, and has always been dyed red to identify it as a non taxed fuel. This is what is in heavy equipment, generators, and locomotives use. Now with the introduction of ultra low sulpher, the high sulpher will be phased out, and replaced with low sulpher as the offroad/heating fuel. The cost of diesel is so high right now because it cost more to remove the sulpher from the fuel to make the ULSD.
The fuel is mandatory by June, I belive, of next year, but all of the major refineries are producing it, and you should start to see it at your local diesel pumps, if you don't already. For me, this stuff is a major pain in the *** because I am only allowed a possible increase of 1-2 PPM. One gallon of HSD will contaminate over 10,000 gallons of ULSD, and one gallon of LSD will contaminate over 1,000 gallons of ULSD. Gasoline is 30PPM, so I dont have to worry about cross contamination too much from it, but one gallon of gas will lower the cetane rating of 1,000 gallons of diesel enough to be measurable, but hardly noticeable to the operator. After every load there is residue left in the tank, so I have to flush with gas after a HSD load before I can haul ULSD, and after a LSD load I have to drain dry. Big pian in the ***, but I do get paid by the hour, so why complain, right?

Old 10-31-2006, 01:50 AM

Thanks Buddy..As always, your depth of knowledge in the world of fuels is phenomenal..great info

Old 10-31-2006, 02:40 AM
JM

The HUMMER importer has advised us that a diesel H3 will be available by september 2007 in France.
It will be coming from the South African plant and will certainly loose a lot of its 'American flair' since the European regs are differents.(I can tell you that to register an American Hummer in Europe is Hell!)
no specs/price for the time being.

The plant in South Africa will produce cars for all markets EXCEPT USA/Canada.

I think it will make a big Hit on the market since 70% of the cars sold in France are diesel.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:16 PM

The word is that there will be a H3 diesel in the US sometime in 08. I dont think it is as firm as the V8 which is definatly coming.