PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Did some up grades

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Default Did some up grades

Well got board over the weekend . Installed an K&N cold air intake, Jet stage 1 module, Gibson Cat back exhaust, new coil packs, fresh plugs, oil change (5-30 Mobile 1), transfer case oil change and t-stat. Going for mpg more so than performance (06 3.5 is what it is). Everything was a piece of cake to install, with the exception that the drivers side outlet (dual outs) on the muffler was not expanded enough to insert the pipe (had to run it to the muffler shop and get it expanded, n/c +). Then set it all up and welded pipes and muffler (do not like clamps). Have been averaging 18 + or - mpg b-4 up grades. Have to do a small road trip tomorrow, so will do some mpg checks and let you guy's know the results. Just for back ground, the rig just rolled 100,000 miles. 285 tires on stock rims. Auto trans. Knock on wood no seat issues with the head as of yet.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM

I bought my 07 h3 a little more than a month ago, it had 42300 when i bought it, i have done a few also trying to pick up mpg. I added the K&N cold air intake, changed my fluids over to full synthetic, added a trans cooler and hitch to it wired up for lights and brakes. I am getting around 17-18 mpg with mine. I really don't care for the way it shifts in and out of the torque convertor lock up. I was thinking about getting a chip for it to see if that will take some of the hunt out of the transmission. Post your results, mine only got 16 on a small trip the first week-end I picked her up.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 AM

sweet setup....I'd be interested to know your comments re : power, smoothness, exhaust sound, mpg ?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Default Some updates

Well drove about 300 miles today with the new parts. Some conclusions: Gibson exhaust, way to much cab noise, drones on long uphills, not the best choice there, will be looking for a different muffler. K&N adds to the cab noise too, not bad, but at full throttle it is noisy. Truck runs better, more torque, power is smoother. As for mileage, I have not filled up yet to calculate it. The Jet module??? After driving the 1st 40 miles with the check engine light on, Bank one lean, it finally went off (sure that is more CAI related). But my new issue is battery light on when idling, 4 month old battery, checked all systems, it is charging 14 volts at idle, battery is 12.9 engine of and only goes down to 10.2 cranking, then rite back up to 14.3 once it starts, and yes the the battery terminals are pristine? Going to pull the Jet module tomorrow and see if it is messing with something. Will post mileage when I fill it up.
Pete

Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Throttle Fever
Well drove about 300 miles today with the new parts. Some conclusions: Gibson exhaust, way to much cab noise, drones on long uphills, not the best choice there, will be looking for a different muffler. K&N adds to the cab noise too, not bad, but at full throttle it is noisy. Truck runs better, more torque, power is smoother. As for mileage, I have not filled up yet to calculate it. The Jet module??? After driving the 1st 40 miles with the check engine light on, Bank one lean, it finally went off (sure that is more CAI related). But my new issue is battery light on when idling, 4 month old battery, checked all systems, it is charging 14 volts at idle, battery is 12.9 engine of and only goes down to 10.2 cranking, then rite back up to 14.3 once it starts, and yes the the battery terminals are pristine? Going to pull the Jet module tomorrow and see if it is messing with something. Will post mileage when I fill it up.
Pete
The lean CEL is likely from the K&N, it happens more than they will admit, and most sellers will refund your purchase if you take the problem back to them.

A PCMforless tune is better than the Jet module (Jet changes voltage readings to the PCM tricking it into thinking that air temp, coolant temp etc are different than they are in fact allowing for spark advance; the PCM tune actually changes tables within the OEM program and provides for your choice of variables, including trans shift points, etc.)

Check your battery connections, and if you have not seen the many threads about immediately hacking off the OEM connectors and replacing them with solid aftermarket terminals, search around. Stinger and Tsunami are popular, I used Stingers and have never had a voltage problem in the years since.
Name:  DSC02242.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  156.6 KB

Best of luck.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Default Thanks Doc

If I can find some time today, was going to hit a stereo shop and get some installed (cable ends). PCM for less is the next upgrade, not sold on the Jet module as of yet. Thanks for the input. Pete

Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Before we throw K&N under the bus, check a couple things. Make sure all the clamps and connectors are correctly positioned and forming a tight seal. Then check where the MAF goes into the K&N, make sure it is forming a good seal too.
Last, look for any hairline crack if you have the plastic version.

Lean codes can mean a leak downstream from the MAF.

If the CEL continues after that, you may want to reconsider on the K&N as well?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned
Default 14.3 volts max?

red flag!, i always see 15-15.2 on startup,then a slow drop off to 14+/-. on 2 different h3.

if you never see 15 id be looking at? alt? or control which is the pcm/bcm, i forget

Old 03-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Default Cable ends not it..

Well upgraded battery cable ends, still flagging battery light at idle. So pulled the POS Jet Module (got it cheap had to try it) and guess what, no battery light at idle. Will make the other half of my trip with no Module and see if I notice a difference. Mileage so far on this trip 327, MPG 16 no improvement, worse if anything. But 50% of the miles was mountain passes so not totally out of line. Next trip 120 Miles, 60 % in the hills so we will see. Pete

Old 03-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

imo the minute you cut the factory crimp on batt cables you have DOWNGRADED your system.
I used Stingers and have never had a voltage problem in the years since
the conn have nothing whatsoever to do with the voltage the generator delivers. thats determined by the field voltage controller in the computer.

if the conn are actually bad/loose you could get glitches in the system,BUT i think you would see/hear starting trouble , clicking immediatly with any bad connection.
if you never see 15 v,you have gen/control trouble.
my digital readout hit 15.2 today briefly on startup, always does.

edit, last yr when we were discussing the h3 gen,i monitored the volts with hi beams on,air cond at max,radio blasting,AND a 65 amp external load.
only with the 65 a load did it pull down to abt 12v, never got a light of any kind. when working right,its a great system. even the stock batt terminals are good if used properly. the problem is they can be over torqed and distorted by heavy handed wrenchers!

Last edited by drtom; 03-28-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Did some up grades