PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Diagnosed low speed thumping sound.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Default Diagnosed low speed thumping sound.

My low speed thumping sound was diagnosed yesterday afternoon when I was traveling down that highway at about 50mph and saw my drivers side front tire go flying past me. Thankfully nobody was in the oncoming traffic lane and I just slowed to the breakdown lane. It didn't feel like the brakes were working but the H3 stayed on the road and slowly brought us into the breakdown lane. I felt the thumping and checked the front end but never pulled the cover off the tire to check the lugs. I was planning on dropping it off at the dealers today to get the oil changed since I'm around 3k miles but that didn't work out for me. The dealership said they have never heard of the tire flying off like that but 3 of the studs were broken off, 1 of them was in the road 4-5 miles before the tire flew off, and the remainders were bent over. Thankfully we stayed on the road and were all safe. It's a little embarrassing thoughto have that happen in a brand new vehicle. The dealer thought they should have it fixed by tomorrow. Any ideas what to check when I get it back. When the brakes wouldn't work I shifted into nuetral but when we came to a stop it looked like the indicator said reverse. Check out those lug nuts.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Diagnosed low speed thumping sound.

ORIGINAL: hsbertiii

My low speed thumping sound was diagnosed yesterday afternoon when I was traveling down that highway at about 50mph and saw my drivers side front tire go flying past me. Thankfully nobody was in the oncoming traffic lane and I just slowed to the breakdown lane. It didn't feel like the brakes were working but the H3 stayed on the road and slowly brought us into the breakdown lane. I felt the thumping and checked the front end but never pulled the cover off the tire to check the lugs. I was planning on dropping it off at the dealers today to get the oil changed since I'm around 3k miles but that didn't work out for me. The dealership said they have never heard of the tire flying off like that but 3 of the studs were broken off, 1 of them was in the road 4-5 miles before the tire flew off, and the remainders were bent over. Thankfully we stayed on the road and were all safe. It's a little embarrassing thoughto have that happen in a brand new vehicle. The dealer thought they should have it fixed by tomorrow. Any ideas what to check when I get it back. When the brakes wouldn't work I shifted into nuetral but when we came to a stop it looked like the indicator said reverse. Check out those lug nuts.
We've been here once before, but it was a rear wheel that came off! Lucky nobody else was hurt![:-]

Old 03-19-2007, 10:00 PM

You make two now... Last guy we didn't believe at first, as it sounds too unreal to be true..Glad you didn't roll it or worse...But I have a feeling that the ABS is what made the brakes feel wierd..since one wheel was off the ground spinning in the air...I'm guess that's what happened anyways..

Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Did you get any pics with the camera phone by any chance?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 PM

Oh my god , thats insane! So glad your ok! Makes me wanna check mine. Post some picts if you can!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 PM

Wow, I'm speachless. That's a lot of momentum to stop on three wheels. Go buy a lottery ticket. Did it stay up on three wheels?

Old 03-20-2007, 05:02 AM

My wife works i GM. I believe it. I am glad you are ok. I pick up my H3 Adventure on Saturday. I will have them check the lugs before i leave. [sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-20-2007, 07:05 PM

I could be wrong, but doesn't the dealer go through a checklist of review items for a new vehicle (i.e., fluid check, air pressure check, LUG NUT CHECK, etc.)?