PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Debadgeing the H3

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Default RE: Debadgeing the H3

ORIGINAL: TacticalH3

I removed all of them this morning. I look like President Bush's secret service detail going down the street...lol. Tactical Blk on Blk. They are tedious but well worth it to remove.
You mean "Base Blk on Blk"? lol

As for the Goo Gone issue, I've never heard of it removing your clear coat, it's all citrus cleaner so I don't see how it can be so corrosive... obviously, you'd want to wash it off afterwards so you dont have that shiny spot there that smells so lemmony.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

Steve you are really pumping some Bull[sm=icon_flaming.gif]. I've removed emblems this way for years with 100% success.This method is often quoted in this and other automotive forums as the proper method!

A woman's hairdryer only softens the adhesive on double sided tape. It does not run or smear. But some adhesive will remain on the surface. Clearcoat is a paint and Goo Gone has no effect on the paint let alone removing it! Unless you're appling it with 180 grit sandpaper! If you don't have fishing line try dental floss. If you're worring about cuts, wear gloves. When re-applying use 3M adhesive..not the tape as it's to thick!
Sorry D VADER, it's not bull, it's just a better easier way to do things that's different from what is normally posted on Internet forums. When you spend a few years managing a dealership Make Ready department you detail a lot of vehicles and deal with a lot of full time detailers, body shops, suppliers etc and you learn a lot of tricks along the way.

Goo gone will remove part of the clear coat, just like automotive wax will but to a greater extent. All you need is a vehicle with slightly oxidized clear coat so you can see it, or even better a paint meeter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it will strip off the complete layer of clear coat but it will remove a thin layer. At least when you use wax on a vehicle you get something out of it.

3M tape comes in various thicknesses, just be sure to get the appropriate one. I've never used the 3M product you posted so it may work fine, but I'd think it would leave you with a mess if you needed to remove the emblems again.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match over this, if people want to try it my way, fine, if not, it'sno skin off my back.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 AM

Wax compound usually contain abrasives to clean the surface thus could effect the clearcoat slightly. WD-40 uses primarily Kerosene, Tallow oil and lublication oil. I will help remove adhesives and stickers. At the same time plain vegetable oil will accomplish the same thing. Goo Gone's additive is primarily citrous oil.

You super-sized "Do not use Goo Gone" was a bit over the top IMO. The arguement is a bit trite but either WD-40, vegatable oil, & Goo Gone will work without damaging the clear coat or paint.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-21-2007, 08:13 AM

From a truck cleaning website:

Q: I recently removed a set of window visors from my truck for another style. After I took them off there was some residue on the door from the glue. What is the best way to remove the left over residue?

A: That is a great question with an easy solution. You can use a few products to remove the residue. One is a product called “Goo Gone”, which can be found in most local auto parts stores. It is clear coat safe and won't damage your paint. It's also good for removing road tar, tree sap, and melted rubber (for all you tire smokers).

From Goo Gones website:

1. Can I use Goo Gone to remove tar, stickers, grease off my car?

Goo Gone is safe on your car exterior, using instructions for hard surfaces. It's safe on your upholstery and carpeting, using the instructions for carpeting. It's safe on the vinyl and glass, but may remove the tint from the tinted side of windows.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

[8D][8D][8D] I like my 3M Adhesive Cleaner/Remover [8D][8D][8D] Good fumes man, good fumes![sm=icon_cheers.gif]It won't harm your finish either. Goo Gone is a hellava lot cheaper though.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

[8D][8D][8D] I like my 3M Adhesive Cleaner/Remover [8D][8D][8D] Good fumes man, good fumes![sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Yup..those fumes can give you a "Rocky Mountain High!"*

*John Denver

Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

You super-sized "Do not use Goo Gone" was a bit over the top IMO.
Agreed, I fixed it. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-21-2007, 01:31 PM

The last vehicle I "de-badged" I used WAXED Dental Floss .... Badges should be at approx. room temperature ... just start on one corner, and use a sawing motion back and forth. Take your time. There is no hurry, as that will just make you do something you'll regret.

You should be left with little to no glue doing it this way.

In my own opinion, this isn't as much "de-badging" as it is "de-facing" !

Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 PM

I agree. I wouldn't remove it. I'd paint it black or the body color. Pontiac uses that technique a lot.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ockie

ORIGINAL: TacticalH3

I removed all of them this morning. I look like President Bush's secret service detail going down the street...lol. Tactical Blk on Blk. They are tedious but well worth it to remove.
You mean "Base Blk on Blk"? lol

As for the Goo Gone issue, I've never heard of it removing your clear coat, it's all citrus cleaner so I don't see how it can be so corrosive... obviously, you'd want to wash it off afterwards so you dont have that shiny spot there that smells so lemmony.
Lol...I could have gotten the "Bling" but that's not my style. I did use Goo Gone for the minimul residue I had. No damage was done. I followed up with some wax.99% of the tape was stuck on the badge. My truck looks so clean now!