PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Debadgeing the H3

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Default RE: Debadgeing the H3

Removing the badges is rather easy. Heat them up with the wife's hair dryer. Take a piece of fishing line and pull it behind the emblem to release it. Some adhesive will remain. Use Goo Gone to remove the residual adhesive. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Follow Vader's instructions, remove any fish hooks first , clean up what is left with

Name:  12174h.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  36.6 KB

Old 09-20-2007, 11:29 AM

Good product tip Doc. Here's the stuff to glue them back on..also a 3M product.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

I'll never put those stinkin' badges back on again. How many do you really need. Now, if you have the Alpha or the Tactical Edition, I would call you mad for doing so, but understand why. You don't need Hummer, H3 and GM logos on every side of the truck to know it's a Hummer. I think by now people know

Old 09-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I'll never put those stinkin' badges back on again. You don't need Hummer, H3 and GM logos on every side of the truck to know it's a Hummer. I think by now people know

At least anybody with a brain should know, the rest who don't, who cares!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 02:14 PM

I kinda like the GM logo on the cars.. at least they didn't fix it on there. I like it because to me it seems to unify their product line Yeah I am weird, anything that can match I'll get

Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I'll never put those stinkin' badges back on again. You don't need Hummer, H3 and GM logos on every side of the truck to know it's a Hummer. I think by now people know

At least anybody with a brain should know, the rest who don't, who cares!!!
I hear ya Doc but...have you noticed the amount of Hummer wannabees? Jeep has a 4dr wrangler with Hummer lines, Toyota now has a new box that has Hummer lines. I'm keeping my badges!

I wonder if we will see a 4dr Wrangler with H3 badges soon!!

Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

Removing the badges is rather easy. Heat them up with the wife's hair dryer. Take a piece of fishing line and pull it behind the emblem to release it. Some adhesive will remain. Use Goo Gone to remove the residual adhesive. Good luck.

You don't want to get the adhesive hot or you'll end up with more of a mess. If it's a cool day, park it in the sun, if it's hot 90s+ park it in the shade, If it's cold, you may need to warm it a little.

Don't use fishing line. It's hard to hold on to, cuts in to your fingers, and makes more of a mess. Use a shop rag. Get the edge of the rag under the edge of the emblem and pull the badge away from the vehicle slow and gently. When it starts pulling lose, move the rag under a little more and repeat.

Now if you've followed my recommendations, you may have a small amount of adhesive around where the edge of the badge was.

DO NOT USE GOO GONE
It will remove the clear-coat. If you have an old vehicle sitting around that the clear coat has oxidized on, use the goo gone on it to clean it up. Use WD40 on your H3 to clean up any adhesive then wash withsoap and re-wax the area.

If you are putting the badges back on use 3M tape that you can pic up at most parts stores.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 PM

I removed all of them this morning. I look like President Bush's secret service detail going down the street...lol. Tactical Blk on Blk. They are tedious but well worth it to remove.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve #1

ORIGINAL: D VADER

You don't want to get the adhesive hot or you'll end up with more of a mess. If it's a cool day, park it in the sun, if it's hot 90s+ park it in the shade, If it's cold, you may need to warm it a little.

Don't use fishing line. It's hard to hold on to, cuts in to your fingers, and makes more of a mess. Use a shop rag. Get the edge of the rag under the edge of the emblem and pull the badge away from the vehicle slow and gently. When it starts pulling lose, move the rag under a little more and repeat.

Now if you've followed my recommendations, you may have a small amount of adhesive around where the edge of the badge was.

DO NOT USE GOO GONE
It will remove the clear-coat. If you have an old vehicle sitting around that the clear coat has oxidized on, use the goo gone on it to clean it up. Use WD40 on your H3 to clean up any adhesive then wash withsoap and re-wax the area.

If you are putting the badges back on use 3M tape that you can pic up at most parts stores.
Steve you are really pumping some Bull[sm=icon_flaming.gif]. I've removed emblems this way for years with 100% success.This method is often quoted in this and other automotive forums as the proper method!

A woman's hairdryer only softens the adhesive on double sided tape. It does not run or smear. But some adhesive will remain on the surface. Clearcoat is a paint and Goo Gone has no effect on the paint let alone removing it! Unless you're appling it with 180 grit sandpaper! If you don't have fishing line try dental floss. If you're worring about cuts, wear gloves. When re-applying use 3M adhesive..not the tape as it's to thick!

Goo Gone® is a combination of Citrus Power and scientific technology designed to eliminate the very toughest problems.

Goo Gone® safely removes: gum, tar, crayon, fresh paint, tree sap, oil and grease, blood, ink, asphalt, scuff marks, tape and tape residue, makeup, lipstick and mascara, adhesives, candle wax, kitchen grease, shoe polish, soap scum, bumper stickers, duct tape, bicycle chain grease

Goo Gone® has minimal impact on our environment and is safe to use on virtually any surface, including: carpets, upholstery, clothing, tile, glass, grills, appliances, vinyl, wood, draperies, autos, boats and fiberglass.