PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Custom Transfer Case Skid Plate Build...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Default Custom Transfer Case Skid Plate Build...

So after just one trail run, what almost appears to be tin foil transfer case skid plate was completely mangled. After my winch bumper build went so well, I decided to build a custom transfer case skid plate. I wanted it to be much stronger than stock and I wanted it to go from one cross member to the other (the stock one does not do this).

So after a lot of work... and test fitting- I have a brand new skid! It is made with 3/16" steel plate which is twice as thick as the stock plate. Plus, it goes cross member to cross member so I can use it as a slider. I used self tapping bolts on the bottom cross member and they are as tight as the three stock bolts I used on the top cross member. Plus, I beveled the leading edge, so I can slide over the rocks a little easier.

I bought tons of steel this time and made six of these. So I have five extra- completely built, including the self tapping bolts. PM if you are interested in one. I am posting this build on several Hummer forums, so let me know!

Stock Piece:

Stock Piece unbolted:

After some cutting, grinding, sanding, drilling, sanding again, beveling, priming, painting (along with like 10 test fits :lol: ) I got it finished up.

Here are the two side by side:

All bolted up:

Note the smooth beveled edge (my favorite part)

Thanks for looking!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Custom Transfer Case Skid Plate Build...

Looks nice! You do nice work, but you better slow down. You're going to end up with the weight of your H3 added to itJ/K

It should work better than that old one.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 PM

Looks pretty nice.
I am starting to actually like the fact that few companies have stepped up to mass produce H3 accessories like Jeep does. The garage innovations are way better to see in my opinion! More in tune with the spirit of wheelin.

PS: Nice lookin z06 in the background!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider

Looks pretty nice.
I am starting to actually like the fact that few companies have stepped up to mass produce H3 accessories like Jeep does. The garage innovations are way better to see in my opinion! More in tune with the spirit of wheelin.

PS: Nice lookin z06 in the background!

Haha.. thanks! The Z was parked in the street to avoid overspray from the paint.

I built my skid out of frustration from the factory piece. I'm looking at doing some mini plates in front of the leaf spring mounts. They are already getting some small bends. A couple of companies make them for the jeep, so no reason why I could fab some up for the Hummer.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 PM

Nice! I have seen some of those already garage built for the H3. I should do some also but I'm plotting a full underbody cage for this summer. I've got a few ideas that I'm hoping turn out pretty awesome.
I already did the winch mount. Just trying to think of what other parts there are out there. I have yet to see anybody step up to do a really good gimongous brush guard that doesnt interfere with the hood yet. That might be next too. I'm going to need to buy a tube bender I think....

Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 PM

The garage innovations are way better to see in my opinion! More in tune with the spirit of wheelin.
True, but some of us "city slickers" don't have the shop, let alone the abilities, to create such masterpieces.

Jeeps have been around a lot longer, so it is to be expected that they would have all the aftermarket goodies. I guess I will have to take it easy while off-roading until the miracle happens.

Nice work! I am totally jealous.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:24 PM

I agree about the total underbody package. After seeing my skid, I knew I had to do something about it. I tried my hardest to do flush mounted bolts, but no one sold them in an M8 40 size.

I talked to the guy at the hardware store for like 20 minutes today and he suggested the seld tapping bolts for the bottom cross member. They worked perfectly!

I don't think I could build a tubular bumper like you are describing- good luck with that!

I think my next project will be sliders.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 PM

That looks solid but aren't you worried that the bolt heads might get damaged?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: H3 Hummer 64

That looks solid but aren't you worried that the bolt heads might get damaged?

Yep, they are pretty much as exposed as they are on the stock plate. I was going to use some flat head (smooth) bolts, but I couldn't find anyone that soldthem.

If I run across some, I'll change them out!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 PM

The OEM gets past the raised heads by using bars so the heads are below the level of the bars. The rear bolts actually mount on the vertical side of the rear crossmember.

Looks good. If you go mudding remember to clear out that area.