PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Custom SS Dual Exhaust on Alpha Installed Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Default RE: Custom SS Dual Exhaust on Alpha Installed Today

You mean you can just cut out all the stock crap behind the cat and throw a performance muffler in the system and away you go? Why did I spend all this money on a Magnaflow system? I thought everything had to be balanced and properly "tuned" to make it function properly with the newer more sophisticated engines...I like the old fashioned way..Let us know how it performs! And how loud it is...

Old 03-23-2008, 07:36 PM

hey alphadogg, what did they do after the front cats where the stock pipes flattened out?? Do 2.5in pipes fit past the driveshaft?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Hummerhead
You mean you can just cut out all the stock crap behind the cat and throw a performance muffler in the system and away you go? Why did I spend all this money on a Magnaflow system? I thought everything had to be balanced and properly "tuned" to make it function properly with the newer more sophisticated engines. And how loud it is...
They don't do anything special when stick those systems on your truck. I'm going to put their muffler under the belly where the resinator is anyway. I just took a short cut and cut rear can off. Saved a couple hundred bucks. It will sound better once I put a deeper toned muffler on it. Keep in mind, it is an I5. It's only going to get so deep.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention about the performance that you asked about. I can't actually tell you that it's from the muffler being gone or it it's a combo of that and the new AirDoc intake but it does have alot less restriction on take off. Don't have any actual "numbers" to post. But I can tell you from driving that I definetly FEEL a difference. I did something similar to this on my old Dodge Ram and never had a problem with it. If you need more confirmation HUNNER, JEEPEATERH3 have also done this same mod and as far as I know, no problems!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: ALPHA XY
hey alphadogg, what did they do after the front cats where the stock pipes flattened out?? Do 2.5in pipes fit past the driveshaft?
They cut the pipe off just behind the y-pipe after the mid-frame on the truck and welded the new muffler there and then custom bent both tailpipes to run parallel to each other before splitting where they exit out the back.

I wish I would have remembered to take my camera when they did the installation so I could have had some photos to post.

I can feel the difference in power and I think a high-flow air intake will definitely help (air in-air out) when one becomes available. Plus I ordered the PMC upgrade which should be coming sometime this week so that should really give me some extra gitty-up. BTW, the sound is outstanding! I get a lot of looks now when I drive by where before I wouldn't!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 PM

Alpha, how much different of a sound is it compared to mine right now? Just curious as I'm trying to decide on the right muffler.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM

I had a choice of 3 levels of sound. 1st was quiet, 2nd was med. loud & 3rd was loud! I choose the 2nd because it was a nice deep mellow sound but had a nice rumble to it when I gave it the gas.

Your truck sounds louder and a bit harsher, just like it needs a muffler. It does not have that deep mellow sound andI think dual tailpipes compliment each other.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 PM

ahhhhh, I thought you said they removed the 2nd set of inline cats way up front. If anyone hasn't seen what GM did to pass around the driveshaft is missing out on some comedy.

So your system has a muffler where the stock res was and builds the duels from there. Cool.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Nope, my muffler shop would not remove any of the cats nor would I want them to. I think that's when you get into trouble is when you start removing the emissions stuff! There must be a reason they put 4 cats on the H3 and the computer would probably throw a code if you removed two of them.

I’m due for a oil change soon so when I get it done I’ll be sure to get some pictures while they have the truck on the lift.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:08 PM

I get what you are saying Alpha and as I said I do plan on putting a Magna/Flowmaster on it in place of the main resinator. But, while I was driving home from work I was thinking about this thread (yes, I know it's sad that I think about this place while I'm out driving ), and it was silly for me to ask you to compare mine to yours. You have an Alpha!! OPPS!

Quick Reply: Custom SS Dual Exhaust on Alpha Installed Today