PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Cupping on inner tread of rear tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

inflation causes a whole lot of weird issues with tires...

just because it is what the last set was doesn't mean the new set should be at the same...

I like to roll my new tires on a nice concrete pad... and see where the dust is on the tread section... yours might be too far gone with the cupping... but is the fronts are decent then see...

Old 07-08-2011, 04:06 PM

The "dust trick" sounds great, will add that to my repertoire! Now that you mention it these tires have an unusual amount of "crown" on them, especially for a mud tire.

The cupping is actually not that bad, not to mention Im compulsive about how my vehicles are performing

Old 07-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
Are you thinking that the tire pressure is the reason for the cupping???? I hate that the 06 TPMS do not show actual pressure.

New Blistens/polybumpstops with a front level is in the plans as well!

The TPMS will notify if you have a tire losing tire pressure which most im sure know this. I am thinking when it loses 5lbs of pressure or there higher.

Also over and under inflated tires can cause them to wear, but that depends on how extreme you have them over or under inflated. I have 285/75/16's and I think the tire itself calls for 55 psi, but the manufacture calls for 35psi inside the driver side door jam. Generally you can get away with 5-10 psi Over recommended. I generally keep around 39-41 psi in my tires and its a decent ride. It also keeps the tires ( front end ) from hopping and causing other problems.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 PM

I am seeing some cupping on the inner side at all four corners as well. It was present on the stock tires, bu that seemed to be coomon wiht the RT/S. I had a 4-wheel alignment done after new BFG AT's about 30K ago. In my case I suspect the shocks are the culprit at this point. I think the weight of the vehicle obviously has a big impact as the stock shocks start to wear.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
I think the weight of the vehicle obviously has a big impact as the stock shocks start to wear.
I agree.... if you wait for your shocks to "wear out", you've waited far too long...

Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Muddydawg75
I agree.... if you wait for your shocks to "wear out", you've waited far too long...

Has anybody replaced your shocks? What shocks have many been replacing with good luck??
I installed Rancho RS9000 on my Chevy Z71 4x4 and that thing rode like a brick afterwards.. Any suggestions

Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

I installed Dirtlogic shocks on mine.... 6 in the front and 2 in the rear. My truck rides like a dream.

I coupled good shocks with good bumpstops.

I know a few people have had some success with that type of shock on the H3. I think you can get some great ones for the H3 from ridgedemon.com

He personally tests and tunes shocks so that the average guy that doesn't know how to, doesn't have to.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM

Yep, this is probably the main cause by evidence of how "bouncy" my 3 is! There is a bump to get up into my garage, and its hilarious how the vehicle just kinda rocks for a few seconds after its stopped!!! lol

TIRE PRESSURE! Now this is where you got me interested. So the tires say 65psi cold, but the door panel says 30lbs. Should I be running 40psi in these tires? If that is the case then the feathering/cupping is due to extremely low tire pressure. When recently filling air (after light went on) I was down to 29PSI. The TPMS is set to 29-30psi it seems to me as this is when the light turned on. Have had tires for 2 mos with 8k miles on them, never filled air till now. Im wondering if there was originally 40psi in them. Im gonna call FireStone right now and find out.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 PM

the alternative to the dust trick is to rub chalk over the tire and drive on a cancrete surface to which portion rubs off

Old 07-12-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
So the tires say 65psi cold, but the door panel says 30lbs.
Door panel information applies only to the OEM tires. Replacement tires most likely will be different.

Quick Reply: Cupping on inner tread of rear tires?