PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

CTIS Issue using auxiliary hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Default CTIS Issue using auxiliary hose

I need to use a quick connect on my compressor to power an air diaphram pump for moving biodiesel and I'm having some issues.

1) Disconnect all tires
2) Connect my hose to the quick connect (added by previous owner)
3) Engaged CTIS Inflate (Front or Back or Both)
4) VERY low pressure through my hose

Next I
1) Connected all tires
3) Engaged CTIS Inflate (Front or Back or Both)
4) I get great pressure through my hose and run the pump fine
5) I just have to watch the tires and then deflate and inflate to get my pump finished.

Next I
1) Disconnect front tires
3) Engaged CTIS Inflate (Front)
4) VERY low pressure through my hose

Same as above attempted but only with back tires disconnected and same result.

Here is a picture of my connect.

http://www.virxtual.com/Hummer/CTIS.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM

I worked with Scot from sax-express today to see if anything was actually wrong with my CTIS. After testing everything seems to be working fine.

I was just expecting more pressure from the aux line but it just doesn't have the power. It would still air up a tire or float but maybe in an hour.

I guess I will not use it for my pump.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:02 PM

The air pump on our CTIS system is a Thomas 100% duty cycle air pump. It can run continuously but has very low CFM, I believe it's around 1 CFM.

In order to run air tools, you'll need a compressor with up to 3-4 CFM ideally, with a reserve tank of air, otherwise you just run out of air.

What's happening in your case, when you have the axles connected and you hook up the Aux air hose, the air in your tires acts as a low pressure air tank, so all that air will get shunted from your tires out the air chuck to whatever tool or line you have hooked up.

A neat trick you can do with this, say you have to deflate a tire to change a CTIS valve.

What you can do is disconnect the wheel you need to work on, then inflate the one remaining wheel on that axle to 45 or 50 psi. Now disconnect that wheel.

Support the truck with a jack stand and delate the air out of the wheel you need to work on. Once you are done you'll have a tire with no air, and one tire with 45-50psi.

Reconnect both tires to the system and within a few seconds the air will equal out and you will have both tires at around 20-25 psi, then you can drive around and run the CTIS system to bring the tires up to whatever setting you prefer.

It's pretty cool to see the tire just inflate up in a few seconds doing this .

Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 AM

That's what I have been doing now that I have found this out. Treat the tires as the tank, they can power my pump with no problems. I just have to pump tires up before I use it.

Thanks for the info!