PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Could not get my new 315's on today due to sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:13 AM
Default Could not get my new 315's on today due to sensors

I got my 5 new wheel sensors from GMDirect and they did not include any nuts on the valve stem. Discount tire had some valve rebuild kits but the H3 uses special nuts and the other GM nuts will not fit. They will be to long and then there is not enough room to get an air chuck on the valve. My local Chevy guy first gave me the wrong valve nuts also and then he looked up the H3 parts and realized they are slightly shorter in length. I ordered 5 nuts, at $4.79 each, and they should be here Monday. I did not realize the tolerances here are so close. Any one getting new wheels and who wants to use the sensor system should check that the wall thickness in the valve stem area are not any thicker that the factory wheels in this area. Wall thickness is very important in the valve area because some of the o-ring that goes inside the wheel is sqeezed up through the hole and fits a small groove in the other nut. Wether this will create a leak I am not sure. It is the reason I did not want to grind down the long nut that goes on the valve stem to the proper size - I just ordered the proper H3 nut.
Again, if the wall thickness in new non factory wheels is greater than the factory thickness you may not be able to use the sensor system. Also, if the face where the nut fits is at a different angle the sensors may not be able to be mounted.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Default RE: Could not get my new 315's on today due to sensors

just bypass the system all together, have had mine for two weeks now with no sensors and haven't got a message yet.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:06 PM

Mike..How do you bypass the monitor system...?..Thanks, it maybe easier to do that, than re-calibrate everytime I rotate tires.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:15 PM

I can only assume, like you told me earlier Dennis, that if the system doesn't read any sensors it shuts down. I know my sensors worked before because I had it go off on me a few times when I hit below 30 psi, now with new rims/tires and NO sensors I have gone over 500 miles with no message at all....I can only assume that you were correct and the system shut itself down.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:52 PM

Oh..Okay thanks...I guess I'll let the dealer rotate my tires for me and re-calibrate while they're at it too...I need to get an extended SUV floor jack, so I can get all four whels off the floor at once..I have the jack stands, just need the jack now.