PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

CoStar Bluetooth Install in H3

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Default CoStar Bluetooth Install in H3

First of all, I don't work for Costar, but when I find a feature that I'm very happy with, I feel the information can be helpful to others.

I just installed the Costar bluetooth in my wife's 2008 H3x. This has got to be the easiest and best feature that I've ever installed.
I've been wanting to install bluetooth in her truck since she got it a year ago, but I couldn't find anything that was going to look and work like a factory option. I'm very picky with the features I install in my vehicles. It's got to look factory or I won't install it. I didn't want something mounted to the dash that didn't match the interior and it had to be easy to operate or my wife won't use it.

I've ridin with my wife in the Hummer while she's on the phone and let's just say it's a little bit nerve racking from the passenger seat. So, in the interest of her safety and everyone else in the world, I felt it bluetooth was the best option to keep her hands on the wheel and not on the phone.

I was a bit nervous about the Costar piece, but I talked to Joe (at Costar) and he assured me it was going to be just what I was looking for.

If you don't know about the Costar piece, it utilizes the OnStar system's microphone and functionality through the radio system (mutes the radio for calls). So, if you don't have OnStar, you will need to contact them to see if they have something.

The installation was super easy. I first disconnected the battery. Since I was dealing with OnStar as well as the Airbag Light, I didn't know if it was going to give me an error light that I would have to get cleared by a dealer. I didn't want to risk it.
Removed the radio/AC center bezel. I just put my thumbs in the 12V outlets and pulled. The OnStar box is located below the radio and once you have the front bezel off, it's easy access to the OnStar plugs. Unplugged the OnStar VCIM box (big silver box, you can't miss it), plugged in the Costar and double-sided taped it to the OnStar box to prevent rattling. Put the Radio/AC bezle back on and I was done. Literally it took me 10 minutes from star to finish.

This device works awesome. I tried it with my iPhone4 and my wife's Blackberry Bold and both work. When you push the phone button, it activates the voice dialing feature on the phone. If you are use to the voice dialing like I am, it's a breeze. If not (like my wife), just make a call on your phone, push the Blue button and it will switch from the phone to the car. When you hang up, just push the phone button to end the call. It has the ability to handle call waiting, 3-way and a bunch of other options, but I haven't played with those yet.

I was going to include some pictures, but it was so easy and hidden, there's really no pictures to take.

Best part of all, my wife loves it. I printed out the manual and put it in her truck, so if she needs it, it's there. Showed her the basics and she loved it.

I've had bluetooth in two of my cars from the factory and this one works just as good as those. Just as easy too.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Talking

Thanks for the heads up on this product. I have been wanting this for a long time. Wow this is fantastic.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 PM

i just ordered it and can't wait to install it. thanks for the installation tips!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 PM

I have an 07 H2. The new vcim's won't work for my vehicle. Must be a 08 or new Hummer or 07 GM Trucks. Im thinking about the Costar unit, but my Onstar buttons arent on the rearview mirror, they below the temp. controls on the center console, just below the nav system. Also if I navigation will this matter, as there is a GPS plug in my current vcim.
Do you have contact info for Costar and the cost.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by texasmontego
First of all, I don't work for Costar, but when I find a feature that I'm very happy with, I feel the information can be helpful to others.

I just installed the Costar bluetooth in my wife's 2008 H3x. This has got to be the easiest and best feature that I've ever installed.
I've been wanting to install bluetooth in her truck since she got it a year ago, but I couldn't find anything that was going to look and work like a factory option. I'm very picky with the features I install in my vehicles. It's got to look factory or I won't install it. I didn't want something mounted to the dash that didn't match the interior and it had to be easy to operate or my wife won't use it.

I've ridin with my wife in the Hummer while she's on the phone and let's just say it's a little bit nerve racking from the passenger seat. So, in the interest of her safety and everyone else in the world, I felt it bluetooth was the best option to keep her hands on the wheel and not on the phone.

I was a bit nervous about the Costar piece, but I talked to Joe (at Costar) and he assured me it was going to be just what I was looking for.

If you don't know about the Costar piece, it utilizes the OnStar system's microphone and functionality through the radio system (mutes the radio for calls). So, if you don't have OnStar, you will need to contact them to see if they have something.

The installation was super easy. I first disconnected the battery. Since I was dealing with OnStar as well as the Airbag Light, I didn't know if it was going to give me an error light that I would have to get cleared by a dealer. I didn't want to risk it.
Removed the radio/AC center bezel. I just put my thumbs in the 12V outlets and pulled. The OnStar box is located below the radio and once you have the front bezel off, it's easy access to the OnStar plugs. Unplugged the OnStar VCIM box (big silver box, you can't miss it), plugged in the Costar and double-sided taped it to the OnStar box to prevent rattling. Put the Radio/AC bezle back on and I was done. Literally it took me 10 minutes from star to finish.

This device works awesome. I tried it with my iPhone4 and my wife's Blackberry Bold and both work. When you push the phone button, it activates the voice dialing feature on the phone. If you are use to the voice dialing like I am, it's a breeze. If not (like my wife), just make a call on your phone, push the Blue button and it will switch from the phone to the car. When you hang up, just push the phone button to end the call. It has the ability to handle call waiting, 3-way and a bunch of other options, but I haven't played with those yet.

I was going to include some pictures, but it was so easy and hidden, there's really no pictures to take.

Best part of all, my wife loves it. I printed out the manual and put it in her truck, so if she needs it, it's there. Showed her the basics and she loved it.

I've had bluetooth in two of my cars from the factory and this one works just as good as those. Just as easy too.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Default Costar

Dstrand,

Here's the info. I just installed in my wife's 08 LTZ Tahoe with nav. I am debating on this option or just replacing the Monsoon with an aftermarket nav unit with Bluetooth in my 08 Alpha (since no one seems to want to buy the H3).

We are going on a trip starting tomorrow in the Tahoe for 13 hours each way, so I'll get to play with the system some.

So far, I think I'll like it. Here's Costar's link:

costartech.com - BlueSTAR

Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Hi Chris at Costar is very good to deal with and offers a 60 day return if you don't like it. He also just added below in his lasted update.

New Release 11-0401

by mrcostar » April 1st, 2011, 3:47 pm
Released today:

New version of the BLUESTAR EMBEDDED SOFTWARE version 11-0401

Major improvements include:
DIC support.
Displays - Name of phone when paired.
Volume level when in volume adjust mode
Mic level when in Mic adjust mode
Caller ID on incoming calls

Talking Mouth Mute function:
Now a quick press of the talking mouth mutes the radio (like factory)
Press and hold for one second to activate voice dial

Down Arrow now Ends call (You can still use talking mouth too.)

Improved CLASS2 radio muting function

Bug fix includes Linking Hang that could happen if phone is not available when linking.

Use the CPU to upgrade.

Let us know how you like it.