PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Coolant in my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by bheff
Well, just got the phone call from GM. Since the radiator/transmission cooler is the culprit it is not considered "powertrain" and therefore not covered under the warranty. Its time to get aggressive. Grab a beer and look towards NW Arkansas Im sure you will see some fireworks and maybe even a head fly up into the sky soon.
How far out of your 'Bumper to Bumper' warranty are you? (miles & time)

Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

he's got 80k miles... and it's an 07....

so there would have to be a lot of goodwill involved there....

Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

FWIW, if you can't get the work done under warranty... tow it to a tranny shop... they are going to be cheaper then the dealership, that in many cases is going to take it to the tranny shop....

Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Good will, to the tune of $3300.00! Im just having trouble understanding how a transmission cooler that is factory connected and required to operate the vehicle isn't part of the powertrain.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Banned

yeah and they know dxxx well u aint the first,its bs

Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bheff
Good will, to the tune of $3300.00! Im just having trouble understanding how a transmission cooler that is factory connected and required to operate the vehicle isn't part of the powertrain.
Agree.... Powertrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a motor vehicle, the term powertrain or powerplant refers to the group of components that generate power and deliver it to the road surface, water, or air. This includes the engine, transmission, driveshafts, differentials, and the final drive (drive wheels, continuous track like with tanks or Caterpillar tractors, propeller, etc.). Sometimes "powertrain" is used to refer to simply the engine and transmission, including the other components only if they are integral to the transmission. In a carriage or wagon, running gear designates the wheels and axles in distinction from the body.

A motor vehicle's driveline consists of the parts of the drivetrain excluding the engine and transmission. It is the portion of a vehicle, after the transmission, that changes depending on whether a vehicle is front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, four-wheel drive, or the more exotic Six-wheel drive.

In a wider sense, the power-train includes all of its components used to transform stored (chemical, solar, nuclear, kinetic, potential, etc.) energy into kinetic energy for propulsion purposes. This includes the utilization of multiple power sources and non–wheel-based vehicles.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Check your warranty. Your trans IS part of the power train, but I don't know if the fine print states that a component of the power train is not covered if a 'non-covered' part causes its failure. Worth checking into.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

if the rad is NOT part of the system then they otta leave it out and then,,,well the tranny went bad,all by itsself!.

they want it both ways,they owe u at least the tran

Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM

I called Hummer thru a hot line listed here on the forum. After giving them the info, "Jonas" (from India) called my dealer, with me on the phone, and long story short, Hummer is attempting to assist in some of the bill. My GM rep at the dealer called, and he spoke to the regional division head and he trying to take care of some more of the bill. As I was typing this the GM rep called me back and they paying for half of the bill as of now, and maybe even more. New radiator/trans. cooler. New (not rebuilt) transmission, labor and tax will not be more than $1800 out the door.
I said "do it!" They are also going to pay the towing charge (which was free for me) Kinda curious if they will go even lower when I pick it up on Friday. Beats paying $3300.00 plus tax. I probably could have gone cheaper with aftermarket and rebuilt parts from a mechanic. But I will have piece of mind knowing that it is original parts installed with factory backing.

Last edited by bheff; 07-19-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Nice to see GM taking care of a customer without needing a lawyer....

anybody willing to put it in writing??

Quick Reply: Coolant in my tranny