PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Coolant leak help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Default Coolant leak help

Hi There,

I am one of only two Hummer H1 owners in South Africa. As you can imagine there are no service centres here and I import all my bits and pieces to do maintenance. Usually the servicing of my vehicle is pretty simple, however, I have had a recent water (coolant) leak that has baffled me. The leak is coming from a pipe that sits inside the blower housing on the passenger side and it drains the coolant tank every time the engine runs! Check the photo. It is not the overflow from the water tank, but rather some sort of overflow for the air-conditioner. The worst of the problem is that I can't open the plastic housing behind which the suspect pipe sits. I have pulled the pipe inside the vehicle to show the problem. Any ideas?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Default RE: Coolant leak help

your heater core is inside that "box" if it is cracked you will loose your coolant. If you wanted a temporary fix if you don't need interior heat just bi-pass the hoses on the outside of them (connect them together). If you have rear heat you should be ok accept for a defrost mode.... Otherwise you need to take the box apart and get at the heater core. Either have yours fixed or replace it...

There is a "new" style HVAC that you could upgrade to that has all of the stuff in it.... it requires some work and some money but many have said that its a much needed improvement.... Kascar sells the equiptment you need (controls, new HVAC unit etc)

Old 11-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Wow. Thanks for the help. Makes sense - now how do I get in to the black plastic housing - I can't see any mountings, screws or bolts?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 PM

remove your blower (the fan) and that would be a good start to be able to see inside the box. I will see if I have an exploded view of the HVAC on the older trucks......

Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 PM

Excellent. Thanks - I will try this today and see if I can get inside. Once again, thank you for your help!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately the cracked heater core is a common issue. If you run the unit it will drain your coolant. usually you can smell it leaking and frequently it winds up on the passenger side floor board. I bipassed mine as Phazer noted for about 5 months until I replaced the heater core. The bipass works fine unless you need to run the heat/A/C.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the help. Fortunately I won't need the AC/Heater immediately, so I will do the bypass and replace the AC with a later model later.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 AM

Sounds like you are need of plenty of friends to help supply parts. I was also going to recommend a bypass of some sort. Good louck

Old 12-20-2008, 05:20 AM

Hi Guys,

Sorry, been away on business for some time. Thanks for all the advice - I have successfully stripped the engine bay side to get to the heater core. Will hopefully have some time over the holidays to fix it and get the truck on the road again.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Keep us posted

Quick Reply: Coolant leak help