PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Coolant Leak from Behind Fan???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Default Coolant Leak from Behind Fan???

Need Help Please
Got in car this morning and realized the engine temp was going up fast and the heat did not work. Went home and coolant was leaking out from the bottom. So I pulled off the skid plates and had a look around. The radiator is dry and clean (and was replaced once) all hoses look good so I added some coolant and turned it on. With in a min I had coolant leaking. got under the car with a light and best I can tell is that the leak is right behind where the fan mounts to the engine. Does anyone have any idea on what this could be?

Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Default Leak

When mine did that it had to have the radiator replaced. (under warranty) I think they know of an issue and there was no hesitation to replace.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Sounds like your water pump

Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM

the radiator is fine there is no coolant on it or coming from it.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Yeah it looks like it is my water pump. thanks Halo.

Does anyone know if replacing the water pump is hard or needs any specialty tools? or any tips on doing it myself would br great.

I ask because I'm looking to do it my self. The pump from Autozone is $45.99 and my locale shop wants $325.00 to do the job.

From what I can tell it looks pretty straight foward, but if anyone has done it and/or has any helpfull info that would be great.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 PM

Can't remember off hand but I think you need to rent a tool for the fan clutch.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:49 PM

I serched aome more and found this info on it (see quote below) Looks like the only specialty tool needed is to remove the fan clutch which consists of a tool that holds the bolts so it does not spin and a flat wrench to remove the fan/clutch. I think I might be able to fabricate something to do this insted of spending $60 to $80 bucks on tools. the rest of the job should be easy (i hope)

Here is the info I found on this sight:

Originally Posted by helicfii
Pump cost me $60. Not a GM pump, but who cares- the GM factory pump that was in it lasted 24k miles, which is far less than any pump from China that I have ever installed.

Step 1: Loosen the upper radiator hose clamp at the radiator, then pull the hose off the radiator. Remove the fan shroud by pulling out on the triangular **** that is attached to the shroud assembly- the **** is on the pass side. Rotate (spin) the lower shroud assembly 180 degrees, so that it is at the top, creating a larger opening at the bottom of the shroud so that the shroud can be removed with the fan in place. Unlock the shroud at the on both sides (near the top) by depressing the plastic locks and prying it out of the plastic catches, then pull the shroud straight up and out.

Step 2: Remove the Fan clutch

Step 3: Loosen the water pump pulley bolts

Step 4: Make a diagram of the serpentine belt path. Remove the serpentine belt (insert a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench or breaker bar into the square hole on the tensioner pulley arm, and pull the arm down to release the tension- remove belt), then remove the water pump pulley

Step 5: Remove the pump assembly

Step 6: Install new pump with new metal compression gasket.

Step 7: Install the water pump pulley

Step 8: Install the serpentine belt

Step 9: Install the fan clutch, then re-install the shroud making sure that the lower part of the shroud engages the guide holes at the sides of the bottom of the radiator.

Step 10: Re-fill radiator through the radiator cap. You are done.

The fan clutch has to come off the water pump before the pump will come out of the car (the whole assembly is too long to clear the radiator)- this requires a fan clutch removal tool which is a long bar that engages the water pump pulley bolts so that you can turn the large fan clutch nut that threads onto the front of the water pump shaft. The nut is removed with it's own special tool, which is nothing more than a very flat wrench- I used a large crescent wrench instead. The water pump will NOT clear the radiator with the fan clutch attached.

Caution: The fan clutch nut is NOT a reverse thread- so righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Once the clutch is off, the job is easy. Sorry, no pictures- I had to do the job on the side of the road, and had no time to turn it into a documentary.

Tools: Fan clutch removal tools (water pump pulley tool and fan clutch nut flat wrench), 10mm wrench, 13mm wrench, 10mm socket, pliers to release the hose clamp, screwdriver to pry the locking tangs open on the shroud.

Hope this helps someone in the future: Get the fan clutch tools FIRST, then start the job!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Clutch Fan wrench and round hose clamp pliers, you can rent the wrench set for free with a return deposit.
Name:  DSCN0121.jpg
Views: 5674
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  DSCFanNut.jpg
Views: 6112
Size:  49.0 KB

You should take off the cowl with the fan after you disconnect the upper radiator hose by loosening the fan clutch nut almost to the point it is off, pull off the upper hose, then spin the nut off and pull the fan and cowl out together. EZ PZ.
Name:  DSCN0116.jpg
Views: 6070
Size:  56.9 KB

You drain the radiator by removing the lower hose, you will need about 1.5 50-50 gallons to refill, so plan on two when you go get the fan clutch wrench and pump.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 12-09-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks for all the info.
I got it done in about 2.5hrs and I took my time and washed the engine down. I was also able to get the fan shroud out before I removed the fan but it did take a bit of careful wiggling. I did rent the fan wrench from Autozone which is where I got the water pump from. Although the wrench does not come with anything to hold the fan pulley from spinning. So I just took a piece of steel (1/4" x 1" x 20") I had and put a 3/4" hole in one end so it could fit around one of the fan pulley bolt heads and then rest against one of the other bolt heads to keep it from spinning. Once I did that the rest was ez pz. swapped out the pump, filled up the radiator, put the belt, fan, shroud etc. all back and all is running great.

All for about $85 bucks and my time.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 PM

awesome post thank you

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak from Behind Fan???