PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Default Coolant leak

Hello,
Just wanted to pick the brains of some of your brains with a coolant leak that I just discovered on my 07 H3. Right away I thought it was a "cracked radiator" since I know a lot of people have had that issue. I don't think I have that problem, when I took my skid plate off I could see that coolant was running down the bottom radiator hose and where it starts dripping to the ground where the hose meets the bottom of the radiator. It looks like the leak is coming from somewhere high up on the bottom radiator hose and then running down to this point. Didn't know if anyone else had, had this issue and if so what the problem was. I hope it's just a bottom hose and nothing else. Any additional info. would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Banned

since you got that far, why not look up higher on the hose.

if you wiggle it and water gushes or sprays, you're getting closer
you are the official x pert right now
mi h3 is sitting in 10 inches of sno

Old 01-14-2012, 05:37 PM

K9... Ignore what that moron said... We're used to it by now... He comes across as a ***** and is one in real life... But if you read into what he was attempting to say... Check the hose or the neck on the bottom of the radiator, I doubt that you would have a leak from the radiator by the fins itself down low, unless someone drove offroad and without the skid plate on... When you've got the skid plate off you can see the bottom of the hose and if you look with a light from above you should be able to see the top... It's tight in there, but doable...

Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 PM

Mine pretty much did the same thing and eventually started getting worst as it hit the fan and made a mess everywhere. Take a close look at the top of your radiator on the right (as you face it with the hood open). Is the black plastic distorted like it melted (mine was bubbled out somewhat and wavy)? Mine was cracked there where the plastic meets the radiator and the dealer determined that was where the leak was. It would run down the side and appear to be leaking from the bottom. This might not be the case for you but it's worth a good look. I too have a 2007. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Just wanted to update what the problem was. It turned out to be the bottom radiator hose developed a hole in it due to what I'm calling a design flaw. It was rubbing against the frame and it rubbed a hole thru the hose. The new hose which I got from NAPA has a slightyly different design and it clears the frame so this won't happen again. I would suggest that if you haven't already that you check your bottom hose to make sure that it isin't rubbing the frame like mine.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the follow up!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned
Default from the moron

when I took my skid plate off I could see that coolant was running down the bottom radiator hose and where it starts dripping to the ground where the hose meets the bottom of the radiator. It looks like the leak is coming from somewhere high up on the bottom radiator hose and then running down to this point.
the moron first read what he said about the leak "somewher higher up" and in my moronic reasoning i jist thot i was,,,higher up ere. oh what a moron i must bee. as uszual u schmart guys nailed it. ure always rite.

frum the "hummoron"

notice he DID saa he took off the skid plate huh

Last edited by drtom; 01-17-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM

Name:  Drtom.gif
Views: 199
Size:  52.0 KB

Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh at the guy in the picture. He probably knows how to type and spell.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA "The Troll" Dr. Troll. ROFL, holy love of god I am crying right now!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak